Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my arrows from graysquirrel. Nice. I got top hat points. I decided to get their wrench and threading tool

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
You put the thread cutter into the wrench and screw it on. Now put a point in the wrench and screw it on.

These shafts are 5/16". The only top hat I could find were 100grs. I left them full length to see where I was with the tuning.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had an idea l knew which bows these would shoot out of. One of my favorite roving bow, is a Dryad's Epic riser and 35 # on my fingers SF GSF. I figured I even knew the gap. I held in the yellow writing at the bottom right between the Field Point.

·
赛
614 Posts
Rusty -

If you use the Tophat wood adapter (see pic below) you can use their threaded 3D Combo points in 20, 30, 40, 60, 85, 105 and 125 gr. I've been using them with the O-ring and its hard to break a shaft. The wood adapter screws on using the Tophat tool just like your present points.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Nice stuff there. I killed a Deer with a PO shaft in 1998 with a Zwickey head. The deer was standing by a tree at the shot and the arrow passed through and stuck in the tree broke off when the deer jumped.

I left that Zwickey in the tree for 10 years and came back and dug it out. I sharpened it up and put it on a woodie and may kill another one with it. Wood arrows are neat.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Also with the top hat screw on points you can fill the void at the inside of tip end with plasticine or play putty to even out the grain weight of each set of arrows. I got mine within 1 grain in a set of 6.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Never seen the Top Hat before .... where are they sold? Thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Glad you like them

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for tips. I am new to top hats. I have never mounted points so quickly with so little run out.

·
finger shooter
3,326 Posts
Love the tophat tips, just wish we had a better selection here, and I am sure that's something Blacky is working on.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know it could be that top hat has a better mouse trap. Points weighed out good. At first I worried how secure the points would be with no glue but I can't pull one off.

I am going for some adaptors. I use wooden arrows for hunting pretty often.

Nice products

·
赛
614 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Never seen the Top Hat before .... where are they sold? Thanks
Phil,

The Archery Company also sell them. Screw on points for woodies, + screw in points + the adapters.

They are great for woodies. No need to fool with tapering.

And using the adapters is a good route to go as well. YOu can swap the points out to change point weight to aid tuning or to allow the same arrows to be used for different bow set ups. Or to put DART discs on or broadheads etc.,

Dylan

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I bought this 19" Black Douglas in 2006. Shooting 3D with the non-tech boys it has been my go to bow. I put the new 32# Hex 5H on for a 66" bow. I wondered where point on would be. The arrows are 475 grs, 31&5/8" arrow. I walked back till I got to 27yds. Covered up the top dot and had four arrows in a nice group for me. Then shot the fifth right and low.

You know Bob builds good arrows. Now if he would just teach me to shoot them :)

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I live a couple of miles from Flybow Archery (Harry) ... hopefully I'll be down the woods tomorrow morning shooting some 3D with him and the gang. Harry is a great guy ... he keeps our little archery group together. He's lived in Ireland for many years but he's originally from Germany. He seems to have a route into TopHat for getting their gear. :)

I use their 105 grain combo field points on full length 600 spine GT ultralights from my Spig BB with 40 SF Elite plus limbs. I love the O ring that stops the points from loosening.

Regards, James.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts