Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
crazy archer
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70# recurve that is a take down with a metal riser. The limbs are made of carbon fiber and I think the core might be wood. I am wondering if it is ok to leave it strung with no ill effects?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
As long as it doesnt get hot you should be fine. There are bows hanging at the Black Widow shop that have been strung for over a year with no ill effects

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
This is a hotly debated subject on lots of forums and you''ll never find a definitive answer to the question.
I'm not a bowyer but I have owned a few recurves over forty years of shooting so I will say what I do myself.
#1 The three bows I've had fail over that time have all been due to mishandling or impact.
I leave my shooting bow braced all the time other than when I need to break it down for travel.
My wall hangers are unbraced because I'm not shooting them.
Basically I'm lazy and willing to take a risk,,,,so far so good.

Of course small kids and young dogs are a very real consideration if your going to leave semi loaded dangerous things laying about.

Anybodys call depending on circumstance.
John.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I leave the recurves I'm shooting regularly strung all the time. In my opinion as long as it's not in a hot car a modern laminated bow can be left strung indefinatly.

Obviously travel requires an unstrung bow for legal reasons. Kids in the house is another good reason to not leave them strung.

·
crazy archer
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a hotly debated subject on lots of forums and you''ll never find a definitive answer to the question.
I'm not a bowyer but I have owned a few recurves over forty years of shooting so I will say what I do myself.
#1 The three bows I've had fail over that time have all been due to mishandling or impact.
I leave my shooting bow braced all the time other than when I need to break it down for travel.
My wall hangers are unbraced because I'm not shooting them.
Basically I'm lazy and willing to take a risk,,,,so far so good.

Of course small kids and young dogs are a very real consideration if your going to leave semi loaded dangerous things laying about.

Anybodys call depending on circumstance.
John.
I do not have to worry about kids getting my bows since it is all adults that live here and the bows are in my room. I do not like dogs, so no dogs here. Did you drop the bow that caused it to fail.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I do not have to worry about kids getting my bows since it is all adults that live here and the bows are in my room. I do not like dogs, so no dogs here. Did you drop the bow that caused it to fail.
I didn't drop it, I hit a rock with the bottem limb while shooting off my knees.
The other two ?
Well one had the top limb twisted badly by one of my dads know it all mates when he tried to brace it using the step through method when I wasn't there to prevent it happening.
I never got any satisfaction on that one.
The other one had a stabiliser insert fitted by the manufacturer who press fitted it but did not put any glue into the hole they'd drilled and the limb split from the insert hole most of the way down the centre of the limb after about 100 shots.
That one was replaced by the manufacture who apologised and told me they'd forgot to glue it in which they normally would of done.
I hadn't even thought about the lack of glue until the manufacturer said as much,so I still have a real respect and fondness for those folks.

John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.