Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get some arrows for Asian Water buffs in OZ.

Need to be 700-750 grains.

I have 30.5" draw

57# @ 30" CH limbs

want to shoot 225 grain brown bear heads (new threaded ones) and an FOC of say 15-20

was looking a fullmetal jacket but there field tips that fit aren't very heavy (145 grains tops) and I can make upthe weight with brass inserts.

So get at it boyz

;)

thanks jer

·
Super Moderator
2,865 Posts
2020 aluminum. Then get some 100 grain steel glue in broadhead adaptors for glue on broadheads. Use 160 grain glue on field points and 160 grain Grizzleys. Or 190 grain points. 2020s are great, slender, tough shafts- great penetrators. Straighter and more accurate than carbons with more tuning options. You can trim them for length at home with a simple tubing cutter from the hardware store, a stick of hot melt glue and a candle to melt it.

Threaded heads are weak at the threaded stem. These are not. They will make up to your 700-750 grain range. I have some for sale on ebay right now, but they are too short for you. - lbg

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you are saying about the treaded style.....so what about the A&H brown bear heads with titanium adapters that screw in.

THey are also making this head as a SOLID piece that screws in.

I realize these things for this hunt:

1 - Shots will be relatively short - under 30 for sure

2 - momentum needs to be in the right area - speed and arrow weight

3 - integrity of the arrow/adapter/broadhead has to STAY TOGETHER

4 - Cut on contact and I am choosing a tanto style single bevel head scary sharp

5 - Placement

see this shoulder shot only a twenty yarder it looks like but maybe OVERBOWED even with a compound,,,,,second shot required.

AND this guy - could you imagine holding our bows for this long....and the nerves at this distance wow..nice shot though, but only ten yards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure why 145 grain heads are all that you can find for the fmj. I shoot 300 grain field tips that I got from tuffhead.com. Out of my 400spine fmj shafts. They finish out at 645 grains with a 1.5" 2016 footing over the end They are a little wider then the shaft where they meet but other then that they work just fine. With your long draw and that much weight up front you may have to go with a 300 spine like the axis dangerous game shaft

I would not use that much weight up front with aluminum shafts. They cannot handle that weight like a carbon shaft and will break much easier behind the insert. I actually broke a 2020 at this spot on a elk a few years ago with a 180grain silver flame

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What's your draw weight?

OOPs,

I see it..

Might consider contacting Keven, at Forrester wood shafts.

He knows his business on heavy arrows and VERY big game.

I have a set, set up for moose.

900 grains, total, Leopard wood, 85 spine, from a 70# bow.

Arrows look almost too "purdy" to shoot. LOL

5/16 Leopardwood would give you 700 grains in the shaft.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Don't forget about Woody Weights. They come in weights of 75 to 200 grains (see 3 Rivers catalog) and fit between the BH and adaptor. So if your shooting a 160 grain BH, with a 125 steel adaptor and a 200 grain WW you'd have 485 grain tip. All you need is a stiff arrow.

Bowmania

·
Bart Harmeling
3,655 Posts
I wanted to get some arrows for Asian Water buffs in OZ.

Need to be 700-750 grains.

I have 30.5" draw

57# @ 30" CH limbs

want to shoot 225 grain brown bear heads (new threaded ones) and an FOC of say 15-20

was looking a fullmetal jacket but there field tips that fit aren't very heavy (145 grains tops) and I can make upthe weight with brass inserts.

So get at it boyz

;)

thanks jer
Jer,

If you use an Easton Broadhead Adapter RIng you will be able to use larger diameter/weight points. They just slip on and are held in place by the point or BH. You can glue them if you want.

This is a 225gr point made from a steel adapter and a glue on point. It is on an Axis shaft using the BAR.

Sounds like an adventure!

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone...it's funny how everyone has different choices and that's what's great about this site.....

I will have to get back to canada and get the CH tuned then..have a year to prepare so that's good.

Going to be a fun hunt - Sid - Joe and a few others...hopefully Daniel can join us too....wow what a great crew.

Bow is being shipped to Daniel Y in Austria when it's done and then he and I can play with it a bit..I can serious about tuning her when I get back to alberta for holidays....

Cheers and keep the ideas coming please

jer

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Firstly, where is "OZ"

Once I know that, I will be able to calculate the EXACT FOC, specific gravity, type of shorts/underware you should be waearing, whether to shoot from the left/right...

OH, God!! So many questions unanswered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.