Trad Talk Forums banner

Oh No, "One Bow Two Strings" again! Maybe!

3K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  Matt flint 
#1 ·
I have been shooting my new Hill longbow since last Friday and really enjoying it. I shot longbows for most of Trad life. I forgot what that was like. It feels like coming back home.

Today I took my Das Tribute out with Uukha limbs and shot it along with my longbow. Big mistake!

I was really liking shooting high mass recurves, but it looks like I am going the opposite way again shooting a very light in the hand longbow.

This string follow Hill is great. I only wish it was a takedown for eBike travel and packing in. It is great for still hunting or walking into a stand. I had at one time several Hill takedows and liked them.

I am waiting for 400 Taditional Only Barebow shafts from 3 Rivers. The 340s are too stiff. I ordered a test kit first and the 400s are the shaft. If once this bow/arrow combination bare shaft tunes well and I shoot it well my Das Tribute, Das HT21, Uukha limbs and Border limbs will all go.

If they tune I will be "One Bow Two Strings" again. Here we go again! But I will need a takedown Hill to go with it.

Gil

See less See more
#2 ·
Gilley my man, talk is cheap and I'm the poster boy for downsizing then reneging on it. You & I might be brothers.....,..:unsure:
Glad you are enjoying the longbow.

Reactions: GilV
#5 ·
Your experience has been mine as well...after shooting a longbow again for a week the mass of an ilf setup felt horrible and sluggish /cumbersome in the hand... i do like my 2.5lb dave lint bow with a quiver, now thats the best of both worlds absolutely! Anyway, give it some time, nowadays i am finding i can appreciate my ilf setup too...i think our minds just embrace change

#6 ·
Maybe one way of thinking about this is grouping them around practicalities, and that it's good to have both for different applications.

I will not take a pretty and cherished longbow on a hard hike where my hands are on the rocks, river crossings and climbs etc. It will get damaged and get in the way. That's what the rugged metal takedown in my backpack is for. There is no need for my ILF in easy and open forested country when I can take a nice light longbow, but there is on road trips esp if they involve planes or trains and lots of banging around with other luggage and objects. High tech takedowns and sweet single-piece bows each have their practicalities.

#8 ·
I am not a fan of the type of sleeve takedown system. One fellow asked at a shoot if i knew how to get his apart, it was stuck. I do like the looks and steadiness of the Robertson bolt system. While Robertsons are finely built R/D longbows, shoot pretty nice, I find that I need to alter my natural tempo a bit to get the most out of them, they have a different feel than an ASL I guess it would come down to what you get use to.

#9 ·
I have had the carbon takedown sleeves and the metal takedown. My favorite was the jeweled metal generation of Harrison longbows. I also had Harrison and Black Widow carbon sleeves which were great, but I preferred the jeweled metal. I had three Hill takedowns with metal sleeves. When you look at pictures of them they look big and bulky, but they are nothing like they look and are comfortable to me.

I am going to stick with a Hill string follow Wesley but also get a two piece takedown. My hunting partner and I feel we have one more diy elk hunt in us. If we go next year I will be 69 and he will be 70. To pack in you need a two piece. We go in 10 miles and camp at 11,200 ft. I use two trekking poles and need hands free for that.

One of my favorite Hill longbows was a Tembo made by John Schulz. It had Sagittarius on it. It was a sweet longbow.

I also had one of Bob Wesley’s Hill longbows. It was made by Jim Darling. Bob and Howard were shooting together. Howard shot the bow and didn’t like the tiller. He called John Schulz and sent him the bow. He gave John instructions on how he wanted it tillered. Bob had documentation notarized in regard to this and that came with the bow. That was also a great shooting ASL. I sold that to a Tradgang member.

I never thought I would be shooting longbows again, but it feels so good shooting them again. After shooting heavy weight recurves I never thought I would like shooting a longbow again. I am hooked all over again and my recurves are going to go.

I can shoot heavier now. I am going to use this 50 @ 30 for whitetail. If I get a takedown it will be 60 @ 30.

Gil

#10 ·
Here is a video of a DIY hunt we did in Colorado. My two piece longbow is in my Safari Tuff quiver in a camo fleece sock with my arrows. The quiver is on the left side of the pack, It would have been harder with a one piece.

#11 ·
I lost all my pictures and videos due to Photobucket and my hard drive on my computer dying. Here is one more when we reached our last camp. We found elk heaven at this place.

#12 ·
Good luck to you brother.
I too am in a constant battle. Really want another longbow as there is nothing that feels more “right” for packing around the mountains. I personally just cant shake the ilf bug. I just shoot a heavy bow so well that at least lately. When I get to day dreaming of longbows. I snap out of it. Repeatable consistency is just too valuable. Add to that, disasters like this early season running over a limb but being able to be back in the woods with new limbs in a week and I just feel safer with a metal riser bow.
I actually just headed the other direction. Ordered up a 25” xceed to hopefully keep me shooting after elk season and relieve my need to tinker on my hunting bow.
In my perfect world someday Ill have me a takedown longbow, either my tempest or warf bb set up and ready and a couple sets of limbs for a longer riser. But then I kind of want a 68” or 70” longbow too…. As much as Id like to be a one bow guy, Idk if Ill ever shake the bow lust and impulsive bow buying.

#17 ·
Good luck to you brother.
I too am in a constant battle. Really want another longbow as there is nothing that feels more “right” for packing around the mountains. I personally just cant shake the ilf bug. I just shoot a heavy bow so well that at least lately. When I get to day dreaming of longbows. I snap out of it. Repeatable consistency is just too valuable. Add to that, disasters like this early season running over a limb but being able to be back in the woods with new limbs in a week and I just feel safer with a metal riser bow.
I actually just headed the other direction. Ordered up a 25” xceed to hopefully keep me shooting after elk season and relieve my need to tinker on my hunting bow.
In my perfect world someday Ill have me a takedown longbow, either my tempest or warf bb set up and ready and a couple sets of limbs for a longer riser. But then I kind of want a 68” or 70” longbow too…. As much as Id like to be a one bow guy, Idk if Ill ever shake the bow lust and impulsive bow buying.
Jeez man like I'm reading myself.

#13 ·
ASL longbows aren't for everyone. Generally you either love them or hate them. I started with a Ron Maulding Tonkin Big Horn longbow and shot it for 30 years. Then I went to some RD Harrison longbows. The bow I took on this hunt was a Harrison two piece El Lobo. I kept shooting ASL and they are a favorite, but sometimes they can be uncivilized if you have the wrong one. I used the El Lobo on two elk hunts and the next hunt we were going to do years ago, I was taking a 71# Hill Wesley takedown.

I felt just like you did. After injuries I wanted to be able to change limbs and weight. I was shooting my Das with heavy Anton weights, I loved them. I had gotten bow strong and got fired up talking longbows with several members here. So I ordered a new Hill to my specs. I was surprised at how well I shot. With string follow they are very civilized. Then I shot the longbow along with the Tribute. That did it. The Hill is smooth with very little hand shock. With the recurves I used heavy weights to help keep my bow arm steady. With the longbow I used heavy draw weights. They locked me in solid. After I sell my risers and limbs I will order a two piece Wesley 60# @ 30".

Then all will be right in the world again.

#15 ·
I had two NM Sheltons and a Whisper. Northern Mist are some of the best I have owned. The problem today is the waiting list.

I wish I had my Maulding I could send you to try. It would loosen your molars and make you look behind you after you shot for the person that hit you at the base of your scull with a 2x4! Ha!

#16 ·
I definitely have shot some longbows with horrible handshock. I feel like the shot process is a little more aggressive with an asl and that forces me to shoot with strength and gets my head out of the game. Glad you are feeling at home with your longbows again gil

#18 ·
I definitely have shot some longbows with horrible handshock. I feel like the shot process is a little more aggressive with an asl and that forces me to shoot with strength and gets my head out of the game. Glad you are feeling at home with your longbows again gil
[/QUOTE
Thanks to you and Zach I gave one a try. So glad I did.

Now tuning changes more to the arrow versus the bow. Can’t wait for the lighter spined arrow shafts from 3 Rivers to arrive, so I can bare shaft tune.

#19 ·
Selling all your longbows, gather up bunch of DAS, sell bunch of DAS to get to one bow, stay with one bow for 2 months, gather up a bunch of DAS, sell all the DAS, buy a bunch of longbows…. Did I miss anything??

I’m so glad I’m making a riser… keeps me uninterested in the classifieds…

i do have a hankering for a sweet set of short limbs, and maybe a BB warf…😏

#23 ·
This was the pattern and the next pattern. Shoot longbows, until head on car crash and 3 shoulder injuries. Shoot Das to be able to shoot different weight limbs. Get bow strong. Try a longbow and fall back in love. Get a heavy long bow. Hurt my shoulder again. Buy more Das recurves. It is an endless loop like Ground Hog Day!

#26 ·
I think the appeal of a D bow that itches at a lot of us is that it is the most pure 'platonic' description of a bow. A bent stick, with the minimal changes required to make it hold and to send arrows well. I know all rivers lead back to a true longbow for me but reckon it will be very hard to find one in my region I can try that doesn't have elbow killing handshock and noodly string follow. Like every D bow I've shot in the past, one of which was a beautiful ASL but shot like one of those machines you use to break up concrete.

#27 ·
guys this syndrome TGPS might have variations. I have it most of the time.
Currently I am shooting metal so much better than my longbow, day in & day out.
I am considering ditching the ZEUS and buying ILF longbow limbs.
again.
there might be a class we can attend for it?

Reactions: kentucky
#29 ·
Recurves are great. I had a lot of fun shooting them. I believe they are more versatile in regard to all around archery.

i just hunt and from years of shooting the longbow I restricted my shots to 20 and in. A longbow will fit my needs. When I go for elk I will shoot heavier and practice some longer yardages.

It is all archery and fun.

#30 ·
I got the solution. I am going to use the longbow for my local deer. I am going to keep a Das also.

I was just shooting the Das bows. I like both, but from a practical point of view I am going to keep the HT21. I have two sets of Border Hex 6 longs for it. One set is mid 40s and the other set is 59#. I was just shooting the 59# and they are a rocket. That will be my elk rig and on occasion I will use it for whitetail. The Tribute will go.

Then I don't even have to change my signature ("Two Bows Four Strings"). Unless I do eventually get a takedown longbow, which I doubt I will do. I am a two bow man! Ha! But you never know!

Gil

#38 ·
I am surprised the ht21 beat out the tribute.
I did not spend enough time with the ht21 I suppose. When something doesnt strike me right from the gate, I am quick to move on. Freakin expensive habit.
Now Im going to have to stay off the classifieds to not notice your tribute. Though Idk if Id give up the tempest, would be tempting.

#31 ·
This thread is a bit amusing, it is nice to see one that is not so serious, but Gil does have my sympathies. I do not believe he is quite in a situation for a prayer call out, yet. I have needed no shoulder surgeries, I am an OCD level shooter, for many years my light weight bow was my 64 pound Schulz Legend. I was a left hander yesterday and my stump shooting was really good out to point on with my 55 'Sunset'. I think I am lucky, I have one size goto arrow for each of my 3 goto bows. Tapered cedar for the 50 JD duo, 1918s for the lefty Morningstar, and tapered fir for the 'Sunset'. I don't want to change any arrows, get new bows or even any new boots. It would have helped if that buck yesterday would have come just a little closer. There was a day when I had 6 fully rigged target bows, a constant train of recurves coming and going, over 20 Hill style longbows, with thousands of arrows to maintain, there is a differences between being a little nuts and totally insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.