Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to tune my proline warf off the shelf for three days straight and could not get the arrow to stop kicking the fletchings up and to the right in flight. I gave up on shooting of the shelf and threw on a bear weather rest and dropped from 145 grain tips down to 125s which is completely the oposit of what stu millers spine chart said to do. Now she is shooting lazer beams. No clue why this worked out but man am I happy.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Did you try inserting the proverbial matchstick/toothpick under the shelf material? Sounds like a clearance issue. Honestly, I just prefer rests, usually use a FlipperII wire rest.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did try the match stick trick. Maybe it was a clearance issue but man am I happy the thing is shooting straight.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Off the shelf, I shoot with cock feather in and find that usually alleviates any clearance issues. I've switched to 2-fletch recently and that has been even better with clearance. No need to worry about nock orientation when grabbing an arrow and they fly great off the shelf or off a rest.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Heck if you do not have to shoot off the shelf for competition etc.,,,,be happy and shoot it that way from now on.

I have shot a lot of prolines off the shelf and it usually requires some build to level the shelf. You have to adjust the horizontal positioning of the arrow to have the arrow tip just slightly outside of the string and then tune arrows to match the Bow.I like and adjustable shelf and run a lower plunger hole with a flat headed thin bolt to push it outward.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Off the shelf, I shoot with cock feather in and find that usually alleviates any clearance issues. I've switched to 2-fletch recently and that has been even better with clearance. No need to worry about nock orientation when grabbing an arrow and they fly great off the shelf or off a rest.
Jason, if running 2-fletch, how do you orient the 2 ? 9o'clock & 3o'clock? example...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Your arrows too stiff.
With the corect "ligthest" spined arrow for your set up,you can do anything.

Sorry,drinkingbtonightbut sztillright.
joihn.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to give this a whirl when it comes time to refletch my arrows. Not to mention it will save a ton of money in the long run with how darn expensive feathers are.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your arrows too stiff.
With the corect "ligthest" spined arrow for your set up,you can do anything.

Sorry,drinkingbtonightbut sztillright.
joihn.
They most likely are but I threw a 200 grain point on one and tried that which didn't cure the issue. Now that she is shooting great I plan on sticking with the 125's since there isn't a difference.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I shoot all my bows off the shelf primarily with Vanes on metal (DAS, converted Minimag,etc) and Wood risers (home brewed - finding myself drawing back to my wood bows!). Shooting off the shelf do require a bit more tuning and spine selection is critical. I find selection of point weights only useful when you are fine tuning ie spine and arrow length must be closed to dead on. My bows have been tested and shot straight Bare shaft from 10-30 yds. It can be done but if you are happy with an elevated rest so be it since it is easier to tune anyway. I prefer shooting off the shelf as it gets my bow hand closer to the arrow, minimize torque, etc. Quite individual preference :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shoot all my bows off the shelf primarily with Vanes on metal (DAS, converted Minimag,etc) and Wood risers (home brewed - finding myself drawing back to my wood bows!). Shooting off the shelf do require a bit more tuning and spine selection is critical. I find selection of point weights only useful when you are fine tuning ie spine and arrow length must be closed to dead on. My bows have been tested and shot straight Bare shaft from 10-30 yds. It can be done but if you are happy with an elevated rest so be it since it is easier to tune anyway. I prefer shooting off the shelf as it gets my bow hand closer to the arrow, minimize torque, etc. Quite individual preference :)
I'm strictly a hunter so shooting off a rest doesn't bother me. To be honest I just started shooting three under and actually practicing good form and using the shaft to aim. Used to just fling them. If they fly straight I am happy and lately I have been getting decent groups too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts