Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always had bow mounted quivers with my compound bows and have one on my Satori. I can shoot with the quiver on (I take them off at the stand) but I wouldn’t want to. It really adds a lot of noise and weight to a quiet bow. So for spot and stalk and general use I’m thinking about an off bow hunting quiver for my recurve, what are hunters using?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have always had bow mounted quivers with my compound bows and have one on my Satori. I can shoot with the quiver on (I take them off at the stand) but I wouldn’t want to. It really adds a lot of noise to a quiet bow. So for spot and stalk and general use I’m thinking about an off bow hunting quiver for my recurve, what are hunters using?
Not noise but bow balance for me. All are quiet. Not a problem on my longbow with strap on, but with my main metal ILF and bolt on quiver bow balance is a prob, introducing subtle torquing. Because it has a quick release (PSE Raven) I am experimenting with taking it off my bow and clipping it to my belt with an S clip on demand. Still getting the hang of it but works very well as a hip quiver with arrows that don't move.

Think to take care of is tune. Bow quivers impact tune in my exp.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not noise but bow balance for me. All are quiet. Not a problem on my longbow with strap on, but with my main metal ILF and bolt on quiver bow balance is a prob, introducing subtle torquing. Because it has a quick release (PSE Raven) I am experimenting with taking it off my bow and clipping it to my belt with an S clip on demand. Still getting the hang of it but works very well as a hip quiver with arrows that don't move.

Think to take care of is tune. Bow quivers impact tune in my exp.
I have thought about just hooking it on my belt also which I should be able to come up with a way to do that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like the safari tough tube style quiver. Carries nicely over the shoulder with a pack or without. They had a smaller model called a Duiker I think. That is the one I have. Not sure if you can still get them. You can fit 5 arrows nicely too.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have thought about just hooking it on my belt also which I should be able to come up with a way to do that.
Yep for spot and stalk I want bow quiver on bow for arrow transport (have found no solution better, incl cat quiver, esp when you are ducking under and crawling through thick foliage), with quick release and clip to belt, when I need to stalk and possibly get a shot in. Ideal is just to leave quiver on bow but haven't found a solution to the torquing save adding front weight to riser with this particular bow.

·
Spearhead
4,062 Posts
Well with my experience, always hunted with a bow mounted quiver didn’t bother me at all just tuned it with quiver and loaded arrows.
I have been shooting target for about 18 or so years and don’t have a quiver mounted on my bow and like shooting without a bow mounted quiver, So the last 4-6 years I have been using a selway and thunderhorn hip quiver, I do like them but when I get into thick stuff they become a problem and feathers get noisy rubbing on brush, low crawling is out of the question.
tried them as a pack mounted quiver and also tube quiver on my pack and that was even worse. Fletching above my head so ducking under blow down trees or limbs became a real pain in the butt. Mount the quiver with feathers down was best solution till you sit down or fall on your butt and forget to take your pack off breaking your arrows.
so mid elk season this year after using my thunderhorn quiver it was apparent I prefer a bow mounted quiver was tired of the hip quiver getting in the way. I grabbed my tribute with a great northern bow mounted quiver and no more hassles.
If you’re curious and want to try a hip quiver I can send you the selway to try, shoot me a pm.
I think it’s neet makes a hip quiver bracket that accepts most compound quivers also.
for me I’m pretty much done with hip quivers I believe.
used a cat quiver years ago and it was ok but still have the issue of sitting down and went back to a bow mounted quiver.
i ordered a gunshy quiver hope to mount that to the side of the riser on my wf21. If not I know great northern makes one that mounts in the sight holes and stabilizer bushing.
this reminds me I need to call Calvin or Dewayne and tell them it would be beneficial to have wf 21” drilled and tapped for side mount quivers. Not sure if the 19” is or not, my 21 is not.

Hope this helps, keep in mind I’m a spot and stalk hunter so the quiver is mounted 100% of the time.

Chad

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well with my experience, always hunted with a bow mounted quiver didn’t bother me at all just tuned it with quiver and loaded arrows.
I have been shooting target for about 18 or so years and don’t have a quiver mounted on my bow and like shooting without a bow mounted quiver, So the last 4-6 years I have been using a selway and thunderhorn hip quiver, I do like them but when I get into thick stuff they become a problem and feathers get noisy rubbing on brush, low crawling is out of the question.
tried them as a pack mounted quiver and also tube quiver on my pack and that was even worse. Fletching above my head so ducking under blow down trees or limbs became a real pain in the butt. Mount the quiver with feathers down was best solution till you sit down or fall on your butt and forget to take your pack off breaking your arrows.
so mid elk season this year after using my thunderhorn quiver it was apparent I prefer a bow mounted quiver was tired of the hip quiver getting in the way. I grabbed my tribute with a great northern bow mounted quiver and no more hassles.
If you’re curious and want to try a hip quiver I can send you the selway to try, shoot me a pm.
I think it’s neet makes a hip quiver bracket that accepts most compound quivers also.
for me I’m pretty much done with hip quivers I believe.
used a cat quiver years ago and it was ok but still have the issue of sitting down and went back to a bow mounted quiver.
i ordered a gunshy quiver hope to mount that to the side of the riser on my wf21. If not I know great northern makes one that mounts in the sight holes and stabilizer bushing.
this reminds me I need to call Calvin or Dewayne and tell them it would be beneficial to have wf 21” drilled and tapped for side mount quivers. Not sure if the 19” is or not, my 21 is not.

Hope this helps, keep in mind I’m a spot and stalk hunter so the quiver is mounted 100% of the time.

Chad
Chad do you think there's anything to the theory that limb mounted quivers, strap ons, have better vertical balance and so less torquing than riser mounted? Feels like it's the case on my bows, but could be tricking myself.

Other thing regarding tune, are you seeing a full riser mount bow quiver softening the bow for spine, or the inverse? Former is my case, but read mixed views on this

·
Spearhead
4,062 Posts
Remote I never really paid any attention to it but would think the limb mounted (depending on riser length) longer being more leverage would be more prone to torque. I think weight of the quiver will play more into torque than length. I have some thunder horns that are heavy and can cause you to torque.
tune and spine, quiver will stiffen spine for me, except eagles flight they are so light it’s like nothing is there and didn’t affect my tune.
hope this helps.

Chad

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Remote I never really paid any attention to it but would think the limb mounted (depending on riser length) longer being more leverage would be more prone to torque. I think weight of the quiver will play more into torque than length. I have some thunder horns that are heavy and can cause you to torque.
tune and spine, quiver will stiffen spine for me, except eagles flight they are so light it’s like nothing is there and didn’t affect my tune.
hope this helps.

Chad
Thanks, what you say makes logical sense as regards limb mounts and leverage.

Regards bow tune, just to be clear you mean the bow quiver stiffens the arrow dynamic spine, right? This is what I see. The quiver takes from the bow. It's about 25-50gn of added point weight needed on my arrows to get the same bareshafts as I see without quiver

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A bow with a quiver will not shoot in the same place as that same bow without. It's the same concept of needing a stiffer arrow if you put a stabilizer on the riser.

I've hunted 40+ years with a bow quiver. More recently, I've tried the Safari Tuff side quiver. There's a lot to be said for it. Covered fletching and I love the little extra compartment. That said I've killed a number of arrows with a second shot. So after trying the Safari one year I went back to bow quiver for part of that year.

Then I got the idea to mount rubber grippers for one arrow on the bow. Went back to the Safari Tuff. When I get to the treestand or go time on a stalk, I put the arrow on the grippers.

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have killed more than a few deer on a second arrow over the last 50 years so I always had a bow mounted quiver on my compounds. On my recurve the weight is more of an issue while shooting. I have used a Kwikee Kwiver and have for many years. I had a three arrow Kwikee Kwiver that was very light weight but sold it on another recurve bow while on the search for a recurve that I wanted. I was not hot on the idea of only three arrows with a recurve and went to a four arrow quiver that weighs twice as much. I never had an issue shooting with the three arrow quiver so I may just go back to that. I’m never over a mile to my hunting spot from my vehicle.

·
Administrator
933 Posts
i ordered a gunshy quiver hope to mount that to the side of the riser on my wf21.
Chad
I ordered a Gunshy quiver but had to return it because it didn’t fit on my 23” riser even with the longer brackets they have. I would ask for those longer ones if you think you’ll ever mount them on the limbs. My riser isn’t tapped for a side mount quiver, but I tried to find parts to attach the quiver to the sight and stabilizer holes. I didn’t have any luck, but I just didn’t have the time to look very hard. I was disappointed because it was a solid quiver and I really wanted it to work out.

I’ve tried hip quivers and the Safari Duiker and just didn’t like them. A bow quiver was just a lot simpler and more convenient. Knowing myself, an off bow quiver is probably something I’ll try every few years or so and I’ll end up reminding myself why I didn’t like it in the first place.

·
Spearhead
4,062 Posts
Remote, yes it stiffens the arrow for me.
Lumis, when I placed the order I specified it will be on a cd 21” riser. My riser isn’t drilled and taped for a side mount ether, so my plan is to modify or make a bracket. I have a year before season so time isn’t an issue lol.
great northern makes a quiver that mounts to sight holes and stabilizer. So if it all fails I know the route I’ll take.
Chad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have always had bow mounted quivers with my compound bows and have one on my Satori. I can shoot with the quiver on (I take them off at the stand) but I wouldn’t want to. It really adds a lot of noise and weight to a quiet bow. So for spot and stalk and general use I’m thinking about an off bow hunting quiver for my recurve, what are hunters using?
I had always used a back quiver with recurve, longbow and self bow. I made it myself out of leather. I preferred it because of the speed of use. I could string an arrow very quick. I also hunted out west in open habitats so I rarely found my self crawling in thick vegetation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I generally shoot a horsebow and mounting a quiver to it just doesn't work out. Last couple of years I've been using...I think it's called...Sidewinder Universal Belt Quiver. You can google for more info. It pivots so if I need to go thru brush or whatever, I can pivot fletches away from obstacles, toward, up, down. It's ok, not a perfect solution but one of many.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions but I ended up going back to a three arrow bow quiver. With all the gear I carry in and out off bow carry just don’t work for me. Although I don’t like only carrying in three arrows the quiver is weightless and doesn’t hinder my shooting. In over fifty years I have never shot more than two arrows on a hunt. I guess it’s all about compromise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts