Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I might try ILF and looking at 19" risers made of wood.
I am tempted to order a Oak Ridge riser but am not finding much info on them.
Any good? Decent?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I picked up an OMP Sektor that I am extremely happy with. It was well under $200. My first foray into ILF was with a metal riser and while I like that bow (Samick Discovery), the wood riser is a nice change. My Sektor is not drilled for a sight or quiver. Not sure if that matters to you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My first ILF riser was the Samick Discovery and I am really happy with it. I think you get a lot for your money with the Discovery riser. That riser is set up for hunting with an Accutune adjustable strike plate.
A while back I started looking for another ILF for target fun, one o could set up with a rest and a plunger along with lightweight limbs I had. After looking around and doing some research I ended up getting another Samick Discovery riser. I would like to get a wood riser some day but the Discovery riser made sense in that I will be target shooting with the same riser I hunt with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I order one along with Oak Ridge Black Carbon/Foam limbs 64in 40lbs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably won't get it for awhile as both items are special order. Could be 2 to 4 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks pretty well made to me, no flaws I can see. In my searches about them I found out that they do make them in the USA now.
Getting long limbs for it made by same company, hoping for 64 inch bow in the end.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure if I believe that based on the price. Gotta pay up for anything American made. I have some 25# clear glass/ wood limbs from them I've been using for my shoulder recovery and besides vibrating alot they've been doing the job. Of course they're so light, it's hard to make an accurate judgment compared to regular weight limbs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm getting the Oak Ridge Black Carbon/Foam limbs 64in 40lbs (19H), could only find them through Alternative.
I look up archersgear.com as that is the only reference there is on the Oak Ridge box, in the UK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was looking at those, let me know how you like them. So far I'm really enjoying the samick r1. They're a hundred bucks cheaper than anywhere else at alternative ss

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well have to say impress with Alternative, did not expect to receive limbs this week.
So this is a learning curve for me and now need to set it up properly. Strung it with a flemish string out of 8125 I had premade and set BH at 8" for now. Will let string stretch a bit before I serve it.
Now will make sure limbs are centered and check tiller.

So far it feels great in my hands and hope I have my limbs oriented the correct way, top and lower.
Can hardly wait to fling some arrows on this bad boy. No shiny parts so should make a great hunting bow.

Any advise is welcome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's a sweet looking bow. The limbs should say the orientation on the sticker, in some cases only one limb has a sticker, and in my experience the sticker limb usually goes on the bottom, or I just put them however the decals are right side up then don't forget which one goes where after you set tiller.
You can just string that bow up then grab the parts of the limbs where the string touches on both sides and push it into your lap for 30 seconds or so and that'll stretch that string plenty to start serving it. Tie or crimp on some nocks and let em rip brother!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is what I did with the limbs. Have it served and ready to test. Just need daylight now.

·
Premium Member
12,521 Posts
nice setup you have. let us know how it works out with daylight shooting etc.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts