Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the archery range today and did some chronograph work on a few bows. Shooting off-the-shelf on all bows with minimal silencers on string and using a glove.

Just a bunch of numbers for those that like to analyze numbers.

DAS Dalaa KAP Challengers (43#)
8.8 gpp (178)
9.8 gpp (168)
11.0 gpp (158)

21st Century 1pc. r/d (49#)
7.7 gpp (185)
8.6 gpp (176)
9.7 gpp (167)

Navaho Caddo 2pc. r/d (47#)
8.0 gpp (180)
8.9 gpp (173)
10.1 gpp (166)

ACS CX 3pc. r/d (41#)
9.3 gpp (179)
10.2 gpp (170)
11.5 gpp (161)

G

·
Awesome Piney, a veritable treasure trove in light of the K.E. discussion...

So at 30 yards with the ACS you're looking at---

21 ft/lbs
22 ft/lbs
23 ft/lbs

Which means you're giving up 28 fps at the bow for 2 ft/lbs of KE at 30 yards...

And 10 inches of vertical drop at 30 yards...

Of course, to get 24 ft/lbs you're going to have to limit yourself to 20 yards and use the heavy arrows.

With the DAS, which is a remarkably consistent 21 fps at 30 yards with all three arrow weights...your are at 24 ft/lbs at ten yards and drop below that at 20 yards even using the 473 grn arrows...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
We need to build a shooting machine. We've got this huge, heavy, steel assembly bench at work with a huge vice hanging off one end. I was thinking of making some special jaws for the vice that hold a bow by the grip. Then I would back up to it with the forklift and park it about 4 feet back. Then borrow my friend's trigger release and a ratchet strap. Hell, a person could even put a bowscale on the strap too so you see what the draw force curve is as you ratchet it back. Tie the ratchet strap to the forklift and the trigger release to the other end. Then you put the bow in the vice, release on the string, and ratchet it back to desired length, click on an arrow and trip the release. On the bench would be my chrono and behind that will be a block target. Hmmmmmm.... Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Piney...thanks for the Numbers...You know that I like the numbers...L.O.L..The next time that You do some testing , and post the numbers, can You shoot the bows with NO string silencers??..The proper amount of string silencers varies from Archer to Archer, and bow to bow, as You know allready...I'd like to see some Numbers with a "Naked" string, just to see what the jumping-off points look like...Keep the reports coming, Piney!..Take Care..harpman

·
Registered
210 Posts
Has anyone collected these types of data and calculated a graphic representation that shows velocity per (draw weight) pound correlated with arrow weight in grams per inch? And this representation to begin at, oh say, 33 pounds of draw weight?

I suspect that a lot of "clumping" will occur: when limb set materials are common; when limb set lengths are common; and perhaps at "working" recurve, hybrid, and longbow classifications.
I wonder how the graphic might correlate with subjectives such as: hand shock and forgiveness? I don't pay attention to noise evaluations.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another set of numbers on one more bow....

(This one drawn the same as all the others @ 28")

Black Swan 3pc. r/d (51#)
7.5 gpp (193)
8.2 gpp (186)
9.3 gpp (179)

·
Registered
31 Posts
quick ???

does anyone know if an arrow that isn't spined correctly or nearly so looses much speed to a properly spined shaft?

the numbers above are interesting and give a good correlation but i wondered since all the shafts were of such different weights are all 3 shafts in each comparison spined correctly to the bow?

and if not how much difference in speed would a properly spined arrow provide over an equally weighted but unspined shaft?

just my head spinning again.
thanks
gary

·
Registered
533 Posts
Gary if you are shoot through a crony a few feet in front of the bow it does not make much differance at all.Within the acuracy range of the machine anyway.If you back up and shoot at 20yds, yes you will see a difference but type of fletch and everything else starts showing a little there..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Piney....were there any string silencers on the Black Swan, and what were the bow specs, I.E., bow length, string material and # of strands, metal riser or wood, etc..etc...Thanks!...harpman P.S...I shot a 60" Quinn saturday...I was honestly surprised at how it shot...maybe one of these days, I'll get one, whack them tip overlays back some, and trick it out with a few add-on goodies, and kill something with it...Outstanding bow for the money, and seemed to be a very good bow Period...Jim

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Dave, you got a 50# or so Stallion, don't you? How do those #s compare to the other bows?

Harpman, you don't need to whack back the tip overlays on Quinn limbs. Those huge tips are a sign of manlyness and prosperity. They're also great when your brother picks your bow up and dry-fires it, believe me.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
heres a couple of pics of a shooting frame i built one day in about 2 hours. the adjustment tube and clamp is off an old table saw.
the bow is held to the round bar by an innertube rubber band. you can tilt the bow or shoot straight up. there are marks on the tube for 28-29-30 inch draw. thats 26 1/4" from the surface of the bar that the grip touches to the center of the trigger on the release for a 28" draw, etc.
gives a no bs true speed.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I need to make me one of those.It would be handy for just looking at the tiller on the bow as well as shooting.Thanks Larry

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To answer a few questions and comments....

My reason for posting the numbers was to show a general comparison of bows setup similarly by shooting off shelf, with glove, and just minimal string silencing on all bows. The FPS numbers represent nothing more than how they perform for ME and clearly no attempt to show a true speed number for each bow, sorry about that Harp.

FD, I had a Stallion and Comet XL that were 47 @ 29 shooting approx. 185-190 fps at 8 gr/lb with an elevated rest.

What was interesting about the numbers was that only two of the bows were hitting over the 180 level at 9 gr/lb for ME. When looking at Blacky's tests on other popular bows, it doesn't sound like much does it? But I would bet the same bows in Blacky's test would not show his numbers with ME shooting them.

For ME, the CX and Swan are above the rest when looking at just numbers alone, although their stability in the shot is excellent as well. The Dalaa has it's own qualities that cannot be matched by the CX and Swan.... that would be ease of adjustability/tuning and alternatives for weight balancing, not to mention it too has excellent stability at the shot.

The 21st bow is just a pure rough and tumble wood-risered hunting bow that amazingly "feels" like it has metal in the middle. I really need to get a Marc Lauver Somerset or a Hall Navajo Apache in my hands to see how those forward/reverse handle bows feel to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.