Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fair bit of googling I found quite a few references to this forum and I'm happy to be here. :) I'm sure there's a thousand threads on this but I'd just like a quick answer so I can just get out there and start shooting lol

I've hunted with a compound bow in my youth but always wanted to get into recurve shooting!!! Glad to be have found a good archery community to join.

Okay, I determined my proper draw length via this site:

http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-draw-length.html

I then did some shopping on amazon and bought this bow along with an arrow rest and other goodies (glove, arm guard, extra string, string wax):

http://www.amazon.com/OMP-Adventure-2-0-Recurve-Bow/dp/B00GOUT9M0

The part I am stuck on, drum roll, you guessed it - The arrows.

There are so many suggestions and conflicting information. It seems the science of selecting/making/adjusting arrows is what has me blinking and very confused. I just want to start shooting and see what happens. Need some good, relatively cheap (50-75 bucks?) target/practice arrows to try out at the local community range.

Will these arrows work? I know it says compound...:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Aluminum-Fletched-Practice-Compound/dp/B00K7QBJPM/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

If these arrows won't work, can I get a link to buy some bulk practice arrows that will?

Even if they do work can I still get a link/s to buy some bulk practice arrows at the right size/composition/quality for a 68" recurve bow with 34lb draw?

Thanks in advance for reading a noob's cry for help!

-George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I bought the 68" 34# bow. My draw length if I remember correctly was exactly 29".

Was following this chart from learn-archery.com:

14" to 16" = 48" Bow
17" to 20" = 54" Bow
20" to 22" = 58" Bow
22" to 24" = 62" bow
24" to 26" = 64" to 66" bow
26" to 28" = 66" to 68" bow
28" to 30" = 68" to 70" bow
31" and longer = 70" to 72" bow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a 28.5"dl 45# 62" and I shoot GoldTip Traditional XT 15/35(600) with 125gr fp with 4" feathers out of my older TradTech original recurve with rest and plunger. It's shoots great and straight. Can't go wrong with the GoldTip traditional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Vodka, for some reason the link doesn't work for me… Just be sure to buy an arrow according to it's spine! You can do a search for victory arrows and check out their site to be sure you're buying the proper arrow…. As for 31", well, arrow length to a certain extent is an archer's preference. It will and does affect dynamic spine, but my gut tells me you'll be fine at your draw with a 31" arrow… Be sure you're buying the correct spine for the draw weight you mentioned.

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
Noob, start with your carbon arrow of choice and .500 or .600 spine and 31" or longer.
You can "tune" spine to some degree by going lighter in field point/tip weight to "stiffen" the arrow's "spine" and go heavier some to "weaken" the spine.
Typical point weights MIGHT go from 60-70-80 grains on lighter end - - 100-125 being kind of "normal" in range - and 145-175 occupying the heavier end of the normally used range of tip weights.
Not unusual to read of folks using 225 grain tips, too - it's all kind of whatever you get to work for you and your bow.
Welcome to the forum.....& good luck shooting, & keep us posted in what you get & how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plenty of functional knowledge to start from here. Thanks, Guys, for the super quick and candid advice. I will be at the range by this weekend with tips of different grains to experiment with. Can't wait to see how this advice pans out but I will no doubt have more questions.

Cheers!!! :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.