Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until this week had assumed nock Lt or Rt was strictly a spine issue & it may be that's all it really is but two form errors on push or pull on release netted me what I would have thought up to now were simply spine issues...has anyone else had this experience or is this just my form weirdness in transition to a better place? M

BTW - no comments about ugly beater arrows please ...its just 18m :)

Top pic
(A) pushing bow arm to target with a non-relaxed grip causes nock left - this used to be arrow left on target but pushing from the shoulder morphed point on target Lt with nock left - & (B) pulling to release from not fully rotated in scapula causes nock Rt

Middle pic
Same arrows but with relaxed well seated grip centered on upper thumb base for bow arm & shoulder rotated fully back for string arm - in my case beater shoulder means that Rod's advice that your elbow can never be too high resulted in an inability to fully pull the scap in - with an elbow just a little raised better scap rotation was my reality

Bottom pic
Test time - repeat (slowly) one each of the form variants with the same results as above...so it's gotta be real, right?

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Yep grip and other things will cause this.. Jesse Broadwater does a great tune for this in Aptitune for compounders.... I had always done "creep tuning" but this was the first I had ever seen for tuning for this.... No wonder he never seems to miss.... :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
No doubt the effect is real. No doubt that form variations can cause it. As to what to do about it is of course dependent upon what you settle on. And once that is handled, it is a definitely a possibility that you will have to readdress tuning.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I'm suprised the feathers don't have this corrected before they hit the target. I have video showing my arrows flying sideways to the target, thought it was camera illusion but maybe not?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Yep grip and other things will cause this.. Jesse Broadwater does a great tune for this in Aptitune for compounders.... I had always done "creep tuning" but this was the first I had ever seen for tuning for this.... No wonder he never seems to miss.... :)
Ren

Is this a iphone app???

Always interested in what the top guys in any discipline have to say.

He doesn't miss because he has no nerves ;-)

Matt

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I recently hung a video cam over head. Results I did not have the bow vertical on a number of shots. I concentrated so hard on getting expansion I let that over power my front end of the shot.

·
Registered
996 Posts
No doubt any thing you do differently will effect arrow flight. If I move my head while drawing (move head to string) I get a left shot every time, because it changes my line of site. If I heel the bow with my grip hand I tend to push the arrow up and to the right. The key is being consistent then tuning to that consistency.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Those issues of right and left shots hit me a lot like they did Rusty. If I try too hard for an expansive release I push shots left. Too weak or not enough expansion and the shots go right. I took a tip from Rick Welch, started maintaining a very slight bend in my bow arm, and have eliminated a lot of that inconsistency....

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx rifle - am curious if the slight bend in effect means that your bow arm elbow ends up less likely to rotate inwards - that's my bow arm curse when I pull in my scapula really hard -> increased chance if arrows Lt on tsrget - will try that & see if its a keeper - M

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Don't overlook arrow speed as a factor in flight. I once had a setup with somewhat too stiff arrows. If I made a weak shot or a short draw they wigwagged all the way to 20 yards. If I made a strong relaxed shot, good expansion and scapular movement, they flew straight. I found this actually a useful training aid- immediate feedback for a weak shot. Better than a draw check. - lbg

Reactions: markliep

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My advice is to completely disregard the attitude of the arrows in the target. Most likely it is just the target stuffing redirecting the arrows. Point of impact is a different matter. If arrows are impacting left or right, then you have cause for analysis, but as you can see they are grouping nicely, so that's not the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts