Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if this has ever been discussed before and how many of you use nocks as a part of your anchor point?

The whole point of an anchor point is so you can consistently align the nock with the front of an arrow so why not use the nock as a reference point? Or design a nock that can be more easily felt on the face to function kind of like a kisser on a compound?

I have a low anchor (thumb knuckle on jaw) because it's the only comfortable anchor I could find. So I had to use string walking since I shoot barebow. I know that I'm lined up when my nock touches the frame of my glasses (for 20 point on) or just below my cheek bone (for 30 point on).

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Or see my thread on marketing. In there is an adjustable crawl fall-away/shoot thru rest. A friend and I used a barner inertia rest that we adapted to a drropway for a compound finger bow. I have taken that to trad and made it even more as well as the limb pockets design.

· Registered
394 Posts
The whole point of an anchor point is so you can consistently align the nock with the front of an arrow so why not use the nock as a reference point?
This may be a moot point, but I disagree that anchor has anything to do with aligning the nock and tip of your arrow. Unless you have a bent arrow your nock is aligned with the tip.

Anchor establishes a consistent draw length. It is not uncommon to build arrows so that the fletch touches part of your face at anchor. If you are string walking this becomes inconsistent because the arrow is not always the same distance from your drawing fingers. I suspect that this would also be a problem if you built a nock to act as a physical reference like you are proposing.

That said, my indoor arrows are setup so that my fletch touches my nose at anchor. That is a set distance, so it works.

· Registered
836 Posts
When I face walk down below my chin for 60+ yards with a 64” bow. It puts the nock in the corner of my mouth and makes a great anchor reference.
When Ive played with string walking and ended up with the nock on my nose I did not like it much.
With my soon to be here 70” bow I think Ill be working on anchoring farther forward to keep the nock off my nose and such. Just need to find some hard references.
As far as tied in references. Ive tied in a np below my nock set for a fixed crawl reference with good success. When I shot a compound I used a tied nock above as a sort of kisser. Not sure a tied in reference would be legal for sanctioned shoots though

· Registered
6,895 Posts
I'd work on a better anchor, very few barebow shooters use under the jaw for good reason.

· Registered
155 Posts
I hook my thumb knuckle under my jaw and have my arrows aligned so the outside feather (one facing away from the riser) touches the tip of my nose and my index finger hits the corner of my mouth. I found shield cut feathers work best for this but to each his own. If one of those 3 anchors is out of place, I can feel it and it will and does effect my shot if I don't adjust or let down and draw again. But when all 3 line up...I can tell and it's money. :cool:

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd work on a better anchor, very few barebow shooters use under the jaw for good reason.
Tried working on a better anchor but it just doesn't feel natural and I feel other anchors give me too much forearm tension. I'm getting decent hunting groups out to 30 yards so I don't really feel like changing anything at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts