Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some say that there are no "Magic" bows...Or is there such a thing??...I've been shooting the Spig VBS for a few weeks, and after getting accustomed to it, experimenting with the set-up, and tweeking the grip some, I'm shooting better than I have in a while....Is it really the riser, or something else?...There are the mental factors to consider, which do count for something for sure...Maybe it's just the individual "Archer/Equipment Interface" that makes the "Magic"...Either way, it seems to be real, and since Archery is mostly mental, if it (Magic?) exists in the mind, then it becomes reality...Right??....:).......Take care..........Jim

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Harpman I'm realizing more and more every day that any bow can become a magic bow...in the hands of a magic tuner. I've had bows that shot OK, in fact most of them shoot pretty well anyway, but sometimes a "what if I did this?"thought or a process that's worked for someone else comes to me and I start experimenting. All of a sudden something clicks and that mediocre shooter suddenly becomes a "Magic Bow"! I found one on my rack today after an email chat with Bob Morrison.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I had one and I sold it.

-Grant

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I would say a Spig BB with SF Ultimate Pro limbs and a Sky TR7 with Sky limbs must have some serious mojo. Either that or it's the guys using them.
I had a 21" iLF Dalaa that I just couldn't get to shoot so I'm not sure there are any magic bows but there are some that just don't gel with their owner.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Jim, the magic in a bow is you. Just think about it.

Did you think about it?

What makes it magical?

The way in which you learn to shoot it. It's nothing more than tool, like hammer. Each design has its purpose. I see each bow having a kind of purpose.

So the real question would've been can one bow be so magical that it serves all purposes?

I say no.

Oh, by the way I am new here.

Dan

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan.

Reactions: DDD

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim
do you ever see my friend bryan. He had some magic arrows
dave
Dave.....I dont see Bryan anymore...Someone told me that he stopped shooting 3-D, then somebody else told me that he still shoots, just not as much as he used to...I agree about those Magic arrows, though!...:).....Take care.....Jim

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe but I can tell you there are indeed a few risers I don't shoot as well as some others
Yep!....I've owned risers that felt really good on the shot, but didnt seem to shoot them well, day in, day out...I think sometimes it might be the riser/limb combo that makes things come together, also...One man's meat is another man's poison, I reckon.......Take care....Jim

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I think my hands tend to suck the magic out of bows. I often pick up a new and cool magic bow that I had so anxiously waited to get, set it up, tune it well, shoot a while with it and in 3-4 months, the magic has been depleted and I have to look elsewhere for more magical bows to shoot. Fortunately, I think my bow rack at home has a magic charging station in it as the longer a bow hangs on it, the more magic has been restored and the more fun it is to pick up the bow and go shoot with it again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's nothing more than tool, like hammer.
That's an interesting analogy.

The other day I was using a hammer I found in my wife's too box. After about 10 minutes of using it, i realized that I just didn't like this thing. The weight, balance and length were all wrong for me. Normally, I can take just about any hammer and use it without problem. Small one is no problem, even on a big nail. Big one is not a problem, even on a small nail. I've been hammering since I was a kid with my Grandpa and it is second nature. Yet, this one hammer was annoying me like crazy. I looked and looked at this hammer, but there was nothing wrong with it. It was just not suited to me.

Similarly, I occasionally pick up a hammer that seems perfect in every way.

I think some bows are like that. Most are suitable and adequate for the task. An occasional one is all wrong and not worth wasting time with. And some bows have that magic feel as if God designed it special for you and handed it down to you from the heavens.

·
finger shooter
3,326 Posts
Jim,
Just like limbs, we search for the Holy Grail of the riser world also. My search unfortunately is still ongoing. I will say that my BEST Zenit BB might be the closest I have came to that "magic" bow. I have settled on limbs, now just need that "perfect" riser for it. :)

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I thought my Revolution with sf ult pros were my holly grail :)
Then i went and put on a set of sf elite + limbs =holly grail + ;)

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
You know what's the matter with the Revolution? I does not cost $1200. If it did it would be a highly sought after riser. LOL
Majick conversation starter, love the look on peoples faces when you tell them the price,,,,,, and,,, its a Sprig !!!

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I think ILF in general is the magic bow. You can customize the bow to fit you. Grip-tiller-tune-center shot ect.

For me personally to wring those last few points out of a set up I have to shoot it a ton. So much of our aiming is done subconsciously I feel you really don't know what a bow is capable of until you get in sink with it.

It could be that a magic bow for one person is a bow that already is in sink with their subconscious.

I will say I feel in love with the feel of my hex-6 limbs the first time I drew them. But it took a while before I jelled with them accuracy wise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts