Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thats a good scam to know about. At least it was only 60$ but i get how it stings. I recently found that PayPal protects you not only from the seller but from yourself...the seller sent me an incorrect email address and asked for friends and family.. i knew he was trustworthy and really contemplated sending 500$ that way. Anyway, i used goods and services and paid the fees and sent it to the wrong person. PayPal corrected it but they wouldnt have if i had sent f and f. Imagine you could send a 100k to a family member and accidentally misstype the address and PayPal wouldnt protect you with f and f...now thats crazy! I wish paypal wasnt making so much money and i really despise all credit card type fees and wonder who is being supported by the wealth generated but unfortunately in our world it seems like the only safe way for internet sales. Anyway, how are money orders safe for the buyer?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have posted my cellphone on this forum for pictures via text before and never had a problem. All of this is 100 percent my fault, nobody else’s.

Going forward I will only deal with people I have dealt with people in the past, if at all.

I am lucky, I have a shop nearby that sells traditional supplies.

I do enjoy talking to and horse trading with fellow archers, however. I got a burned and should have known better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thats a good scam to know about. At least it was only 60$ but i get how it stings. I recently found that PayPal protects you not only from the seller but from yourself...the seller sent me an incorrect email address and asked for friends and family.. i knew he was trustworthy and really contemplated sending 500$ that way. Anyway, i used goods and services and paid the fees and sent it to the wrong person. PayPal corrected it but they wouldnt have if i had sent f and f. Imagine you could send a 100k to a family member and accidentally misstype the address and PayPal wouldnt protect you with f and f...now thats crazy! I wish paypal wasnt making so much money and i really despise all credit card type fees and wonder who is being supported by the wealth generated but unfortunately in our world it seems like the only safe way for internet sales. Anyway, how are money orders safe for the buyer?
I mostly have purchased small items under 100 dollars and I have paid in the past using a US postal money order. I guess I have been lucky with my prior transactions. Because a postal money order offers no protection for the buyer. The best thing going forward is to only deal with people I have dealt with in the past and buy from my local shop.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you posted you phone number in the forum or in ads, you might consider trying to go back and edit the number out of them? I know that seems like closing the barn door after the horse got out but it might be prudent.
Too late for that now. Going forward, I will only deal with people I have successfully dealt with in the past. They already have my cell number. My biggest mistake was not verifying who I was talking to and of course using a gift card.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
Lawman, not too late - scan for YOUR posts and edit out your phone numbers. I'd not leave those posts hanging out there for all eternity for OTHER creeps to key on. good advice DAVE.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have posted my cellphone on this forum for pictures via text before and never had a problem. All of this is 100 percent my fault, nobody else’s.

Going forward I will only deal with people I have dealt with people in the past, if at all.

I am lucky, I have a shop nearby that sells traditional supplies.

I do enjoy talking to and horse trading with fellow archers, however. I got a burned and should have known better.
Never do that. If you put out a wtb ad, watch how many responses you get. They will say they. Have one and ask that you text to number or email.

A short time ago you couldn’t put an ad out without someone responding immediately. The moderators made some changes to prevent it. So hopefully it doesn’t happen to often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is exactly what pay pal is for. I know everyone is mad at them right now because of the 1099K misunderstanding, but they give you the protection against scams like this. Yes, it costs 3%, and yes they will send you a tax form if you sell over $600 but you don't actually have to pay if it's personal items sold at a loss, ie: selling old sports equipment one regular guy to another.

Paypal is all I use online, even from reputable places like Summit Racing, just in case.

I've been scammed before (not here) where the supposed item I purchased never showed up and the seller ignored all my messages after the transaction. I made one phone call to PayPal and they handled it right then and there and gave me my money back.
There are a number of on line sites that send 1099s when you sell through them. Reverb is one and I got the shock of my life when I sold a Mule Resonator guitar through them. Of course I paid more for the Mule than I sold it for but the IRS wants to know if you're making anything so they can tax you.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I love this site and others for buying and selling equipment.
We have a very large majority of stand up folks. Just got to pay mind to who you are dealing with.
Most of the folks on this site I trust more than doing business with locals.
Sucks we got scammers making their way into such a solid group of folks. If you are still in need of broadheads I got quite a few laying around Id be happy to set ya up with if you are in need.

·
Registered
759 Posts
….. Anyway, how are money orders safe for the buyer?
THEY ARE NOT…. Same as what happened here,in my mind anyway… I only send them to Steve, and guys I 100% trust… there is now way I’d send one to somebody else… zero protection there… FF the same way, only to who you trust…and if somebody wants an item, they will use add the 3% to send goods and services so you don’t get stuck with the fees…

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
best if you can know someone some, or see their post history, etc. or visit on phone......or have read them on SOME FORUM for years to know they have some longevity.....try to see some background like do they really live where they say (if they say)........but having said it I have rolled the dice some & dealt with people I don't know, and I've been lucky, MOSTLY.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ditto Steve's input. The wanted ads in particular get scammer response with "I know a guy that has one, here is contact information."... dont do it!

If a guy has been on this site for a while, and has real history of buying and selling, or simply many decent posts of "participating and a real archer" I buy/sell and have not been cheated to date. about 15 successful transactions I would guess.

I will keep buying and selling here, just do my homework on buyers or sellers. Saves us both Ebay and sometimes paypal transaction fees which now runs to almost 20%. When I first started using Ebay I thought fees were ~3-5%, and very fair. At 20% it gets pretty steep for what cannot cost much to run.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I never thought about that, straight PP for me.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts