Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon the Nika's while looking at John's Custom archery on FB and it sent me down the rabbit hole to learn about them because they were inexpensive and at least at a glance look like the Uukha's.

In my research I came upon Remotes two threads about them and his positive experience with them.

I have the Gobi's on my EXE Scream riser and love them. I plan on going elk hunting next year and with my significant improvement since starting to shoot a recurve last Thanksgiving I am confident my skills will be good enough to use the stick bow next year. For that hunt I would prefer to be at least 50lbs for better penetration than my current low 40's I am currently shooting.

So my question is has anyone shot both and if so could you compare and contrast the two?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your responses!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set N3 68" 48#-on WF19 CD Riser. Really like the limbs. Gonna kick back an open a bottle of Dom Perignon and wait for folks responses. Mine came decaled , John has them in black with the little bull head on bottom . I provided the material and cardboard templates to Grannie down the road and she fabricated me some custom camo limb covers for hunting.
On another thread here I provided pics of them.
I have yet to try the SX 50's . Been on my mind.

Attachments

·
Spearhead
4,062 Posts
I have the Nika n3 in medium 36# on my wfx 29” making it a 72” bow for field and target.
xl sx50 36# on my wfx light making it a 72” bow
also for target
Have 36# long sx50 on my wfx 21” making it a 66” bow for hunting.
38# xl sx50 on my das tribute making it a 66” bow for hunting.

This is my personal opinion and how they feel to me, Sx 50 are smoother limb on the draw and to anchor. Sx 50 are more of a curve profile side by side at the tip of the limb, compared to the Nika n3
Nika n3 are a nice limb, well worth the price range and a great value. Feel wise they feel like the uukha ex1evo2 to me.
if you have DAS fittings the Nika n3 is a shoe in.
I’ll get another pair of medium limbs for the wfx 29 not sure if it will be Nika or sx50 limbs, if Nika limbthey will be 34# if Sx 50 will be 36#

Chad

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have the Nika n3 in medium 36# on my wfx 29” making it a 72” bow for field and target.
xl sx50 36# on my wfx light making it a 72” bow
also for target
Have 36# long sx50 on my wfx 21” making it a 66” bow for hunting.
38# xl sx50 on my das tribute making it a 66” bow for hunting.

This is my personal opinion and how they feel to me, Sx 50 are smoother limb on the draw and to anchor. Sx 50 are more of a curve profile side by side at the tip of the limb, compared to the Nika n3
Nika n3 are a nice limb, well worth the price range and a great value. Feel wise they feel like the uukha ex1evo2 to me.
if you have DAS fittings the Nika n3 is a shoe in.
I’ll get another pair of medium limbs for the wfx 29 not sure if it will be Nika or sx50 limbs, if Nika limbthey will be 34# if Sx 50 will be 36#

Chad
Great comment. I think it's important folk are aware the Nika's are more of a conventional draw force curve, smoother than a classic curve, but definitely not S-Curve (as I had previously thought). They are in between. The Ex-1 Evo2 seems a good reference.

For those that like smoothness early in the draw (great for reducing draw shoulder load) and don't need too much room at the back, these are really great high performance limbs at the price. Hard to beat bang for buck. But if folk buy these thinking they are getting S-Curves they'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think Nika is claiming a greater fps bump for their "Curve" N3s than Uukha is for their "S Curve" Gobi, + 8 fps and +4 fps, respectively. Of course, "compared to what?" is an open question, but I'm wondering how it could be that the N3s are indeed faster than the Gobi, after all the N3 appears to be made along the lines of Uukha's previous-ten "Curve" limbs, for which Uukha claimed lower speeds than they do for the newer S-Curve line.

So if the N3s are indeed faster, from whence does this speed come?

And if they are not, in fact, faster, it's hard to see what the N3 has over the Gobi. A more traditional draw? There are lots of limbs that draw like that, no?

Even if the Nike are somehow faster, are a little smoother and even a little quieter, I would be hesitant.

Does anyone know:

Where did Nika get the tools and tech to build "Monolith" limbs? According to Uukha's website, they make their limbs in house in France, so Nika could not have got the tools from them. (I thought maybe it was a JV "technology transfer", but this seems unlikely.)

Did Nika reverse engineer the limbs? How? And if they didn't, and this is home-grown tech that was just inspired by Uukha, why are they damn near copying and pasting from Uukha's "Curve" series marketing materials?

I used to live in China and reported on business topics from there; I'm suspicious. As they used to say in France, "If it smells like a rat..."

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Like anything they just studied monolith construction I guess. In a few years there'll be several other makers of them, no doubt. Far from rocket science!

They're saying their limbs are faster than standard conventional limbs profile, and no joke they definitely are. Only a chrono matters here though, the rest just words. The Chinese Uukha owner that did that chrono against the N3's implies they're as fast as some top end Uukha's, but he tested on lower poundage N3's, so who knows!

In any case, the Olympiad guy that designed them built these I think to fill a niche missing in the high performamce monolith limb space - somewhere between a conventional recurve and an S-Curve. Glad I chose these over the Gobi's, as I personally really like the draw cycle and consistency they help bring me as regards DL. I can totally get why folk may like extra room at the back however.

Plenty of room for everyone.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Typical china production. Looks like product but does not function like it. If they had trade rules agreements they would be i copy right lawsuit. If it was a US limb manufacturer you can bet they would be in court.

HH~

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Typical china production. Looks like product but does not function like it. If they had trade rules agreements they would be i copy right lawsuit. If it was a US limb manufacturer you can bet they would be in court.

HH~
Not true at all. I can put CF limbs from 4 major brands next to each other, most near identical, none are breaching any IP as none, like Uukha with monolith, have a patent. Same goes for risers. The N3s are not even S Curve.

If Nika made them first, you bet Uukka or any other Western bowyer would've come along with their own monolith construction.

I for one am glad to reward talented bowyers with my money, wherever they are. Plenty of room.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

HH~
Eh, if pyramid type of bow was patented centuries ago, maybe someone would start saying that many selfbows are just copies and based on copy right lawsuits would need to roll and teach the makers a lesson.
There are ASL type of bows made in Sweden and nobody jumps the gun like you jump on Chinese products.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If uukha was a US company and had patent rights on their early limbs and someone came along a built some that are less than 30% different in constuction that would be patent infringment all day long.

I dont believe they are but i dont have a set to compare.

HH~

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was under the impression that Uukha's "Monolith" limbs are quite different from traditional laminated limbs. Are there other limbs in the market that do not have wood or foam cores.

Uukha state on their website that they have patents.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I was under the impression that Uukha's "Monolith" limbs are quite different from traditional laminated limbs. Are there other limbs in the market that do not have wood or foam cores.

Uukha state on their website that they have patents.
AFAIK they do for their "unidirectional pre-preg" carbon baking process, or something. There'll be other companies selling limbs of 'monolith carbon' in various forms in the coming years. If it works, others will do it, just as they did with carbon and foam, carbon and wood, wood and fibreglass, etc.

Every 'recurve bow', 'carbon arrow', and archery accessory is a tiny design and/or material tweak away from another, in the broader scheme of things. Occasionally something comes along like the Tempest that truly is a new angle, but that's rare.

'S Curves' themselves have been around for a couple of thousand years, Uukha, Border, Bob Lee studied and capitalised on that innovation. The Chinese were making complex, highly-refined laminated/composite 'S Curves' while my European ancestors were still working out how to shoot spears with simple Yew D-bows.

All said, if imagined Nika <-> Uukha IP infringement creates fear, uncertainty and doubt in folk, even without a lawyer in the room, even if Uukha are selling great limbs by the bucket load and don't seem to care, even if the Nika's have a different profile, just sleep easy and buy the Uukha's. Problem solved.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Problem is you cant sue Chyna for any Copyright. They dont play by same rules rest of world does.

Be shooting my Curves in the Tenn Two man Championship Saturday. Will be a long hot day of slingin darts in head to head matches. Winners take all money match. There will be at least a few National Champs there and a chit ton of Silver medal guys teamed up for that pot of gold.

Keep an eye for guys with $200 China limbs and report back how many i saw.

HH~

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any company can have limb issues , etc . However on my own I done a couple searches on here TT and couldn't find the thread on rare Uukha limb failure and the buyer(s) had to return them to Uukha I believe instead of original seller which was overseas .

Reason I wanted to look up that thread was to find out what particular model limbs that happened to . I would be interested in a set of higher end UUkhas maybe one day . I do own a set of Nika N3's 48# 68" no regrets so far .

Sure wish more companies kicked out more longbow limb options . Just to try a set to play around with .

BTW was told about a year ago Dryad changed ownership .

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
A whole courtroom full of patent lawyers wouldn't be able to accomplish a thing in China and Uukha knows it. It's well known that Chinese government has little regard for intellectual property rights or patent laws of any nation. Here in the US, the federal government has waged a losing battle against this sort of activity where the goods being imported not only look exactly like those made by the patent holder but the bootleggers have even copied their company name and logo.

As consumers, we have a choice where we spend our hard earned money. Low cost knockoffs are attractive, especially when they are well executed and seem to perform well. They're particularly attractive when the consumer perceives the worst case scenario is loss of their purchase price.

In this case, Nika seems to offer a replacement warranty which mitigates the consumer's concern about product failure even more, as long as they're around to honor it. On the other hand, if the product fails and you're seriously injured, good luck to you as it's very likely there is no product liability coverage to compensate you for your injuries. A consumer who has shot tens of thousands of arrows and never experienced a limb failure probably won't be concerned at all about that. If you're set on purchasing Nikas, I would suggest buying through a retail outlet in your home country. At least the retailer might have some product liability insurance.

Clearly, Nika has copied Uukha's product right down to the limb tip design, even using their advertising literature. Hey, at least Nika has their own logo!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts