Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking to buy some high-end carbon foam ILF limbs, had my eyes on the Uukha Gobis. In the end, and after a recommendation from Draven, I went with the new model of the Nika N3's, 55% 'carbon monolith' limbs. The owner of Nika Archery is an Olympiad and seems to know his stuff, so I thought why not give this new bowyer a shot and save a fair bit of money.

Nika offer them in both 70" and 68" in last year's model. The limbs I ordered are 44lb @ 68", as measured on a 25" riser. My intention is to use them on a 17" riser, bringing the weight up to 52lbs @28", ~54lbs at my DL, for a 60" bow. They were offering a deal on a simple 17" mag alloy hunting style 'ET-1' riser so I ordered that too.

I asked a bunch of questions to their staff, all of which were answered promptly and in great English. That gave me enough confidence in them to go ahead and buy them. In my view the information on their above page is insufficient, they need to improve there esp as regards the technical details, some benchmarking etc. Any case, I paid USD280 at the official store, shipping included in the price. They took about 20 days to arrive from China to my location, held up by the bloody pandemic for a few days along the way.

The limbs came in high-quality limb sleeves with velcro flaps and soft inner lining. My first impression just looking at them was that the finish was very good, not a single mark, scratch or blemish.

Wood Cable Rectangle Electrical wiring Hardwood

Grey Material property Wood Font Tints and shades

Limb buttons are perfectly centered. Limbs look shinier on the site, a sort of satin finish in reality. Smooth to the touch. Weave is neatly done across all surfaces of both limbs, nice and even.

Bicycle part Font Wood Gas Metal

Some black lint in the hex hole there. Thought it was oxidation or chrome chipping at first, but wasn't. Didn't notice when took the photo.

Wood Handle Font Metal Office supplies

Limb tips are very small, supposedly to make them lighter for speed.

Wood Composite material Hardwood Rolling Wood stain

Shaping is good, seems professional.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plywood

Automotive tire Font Material property Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Packaging dust on the limbs in this photo. Cast a shadow through the coating. Should've dusted them off.

ILF buttons were perfectly centered and clicked straight into my ILF risers without issue, albeit on one riser it needed quite a push due to the tight spring in the buttons. Need a bit of working to loosen them up. One of the limb buttons was a bit creaky at first but soon the creak disappeared. On 2 ILF risers with LLA zeroed the string was perfectly aligned with limb bolts. Ironically on their own cast aluminium riser, that came in the package, the LLAs needed about 1mm of shift to get alignment.

The torsional stability exceeds that on any of my bows, including my other CF limbs at around the same weight strung. I literally cannot twist them. Very even draw, I guess they 'feel' about 48lbs at full draw at 60" AMO. On my 19" F261 at 62" AMO, they feel less. Really smooth.

A bit disappointed they didn't publish the draw force curve for the n3's on their site, so I asked them for it. They sent me this. I can only guess that the pixelated parts were Mandarin, and that they translated it in red before sending. I'm guess that I have the 'pro' even though they're not labelled as such on their site.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

My first shots were on the 17" ET-1 riser that I ordered from them, with a BCY Mercury 24 strand new Flemish string. I'm not a world champion archer, my words don't count for much, but I have shot a broad diversity of bows, and I will say these are hands down the fastest and most stable limbs I have ever put an arrow over. 11GPP arrows gave me quite a surprise, belting out like I'd expect 9GPP from my other CF limbs at same weight. Unfortunately my chrono is another country, and so it's all just words and impressions. No juicy data.

Grass Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Wood

On the 17" ET-1 riser I bought from them (about USD120). Makes a 60" AMO bow.

These N3's are however not the quietest limbs, at least with this string material. They're not the noisiest either, but are pretty much drumskins with string slap, and on a metal riser. I put some paracord silencers on the 10th and 6th harmonics, and that ate almost all the hum. Velcro on the string groove took care of the slap and now they've calmed right down.

Once I've settled on which riser to put them on, I'll tune a bareshaft for them and perhaps by then I'll have my chrono.

Very pleased with these limbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Very interesting, if they came in short I'd give them a try I think.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have the similar limbs for a while and when Remote asked me, I told him about these.
I compared them with my old MKVera, #[email protected]" on 25" riser and performance wise are very similar. When I compared MKVera years ago with TT2.0, the MKVera were ~10fps quicker than TT2.0 with same arrows (8gpp and 10 gpp)

Wood Art Tints and shades Font Composite material

Brown Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Tread

Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Metal Composite material

Audio equipment Gadget Wood Font Material property

I didn't have time to weight the limb itself compared with MKVera but it is lighter.
I have them now on my 19" White Feather Lark - they compliment each other perfect

Reptile Iguania Lizard Wood Scaled reptile

Wood Automotive tire Gas Hardwood Metal

Automotive design Audio equipment Grille Automotive lighting Skyscraper

Wood Reptile Scaled reptile Lizard Terrestrial animal

On WFL they are #[email protected]" with bolts in.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
They are just an alternative. Better? I don’t think so. In terms of s-curves I doubt they are true S-curve profile. They feel “conventional” with less stacking compared with TT2.0. They are smooth but snappy - feel more like the TT extreme carbon wood / Black Wolf. At one point I will get the Uukha SX50 but it bugged me they don’t have above #40 on 25” riser.Comparing price between these, the Nika progressive are better bang for the buck. If you take in consideration that you can use them with DAS fittings, yes.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do they compare to Uukhas? Are they better or worse? Are they just chinese copies with a lower price point or are they doing something new/different?
I've never shot the Uukhas, so cannot comment. They appear similar in design yes (nearly all recurve ILF limbs are similar to another in design, so moot point), but have a supposed 5% more carbon fibre than the Gobi's. Quality is top. Clearly a lot of care has gone into making them. They feel very good to draw and shoot, are faster than all my other comparable limbs (Formula and ILF) and cost me very little. That's more than enough for me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got up early and tried it on my 19" F261 (7075 machined alu), and found it an even better shoot than on 17". It pulls exactly 50lbs @ 28", as Draven found on his 19". Bareshaft tuned in a 30.5" AMO arrow, 340 spine GT Hunter with 50gn insert and 150gn point in about 10mins for a 492gn arrow total. These limbs need 25gn stiffer than my other CFs with the same shafts, same riser.

Still paper tuning to do to refine, but it's shooting darts out to 20m, nice and quiet too with the S-Coil stabi.

Grass Sculpture Plant Groundcover Art

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dravin that riser limb combo really goes good together!! Thank y’all for posting this information, it’s very interesting!
Yep, there I was feeling pretty good about some of my combos, and then Draven posted that pic with the WFL. Now I'm shopping around looking at WFL prices. Tell ya it's a disease.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Here January comparisons.
Dan

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Dan, I’ve seen the video on AT months ago. Thanks for bringing it up. Nika Progression are quite similar with Uukha. In the video were meds vs longs and #4 pounds less for 3 mps difference. That’s quite good actually, when translated to fps (cca 11fps) with same arrow and #4 less on fingers and against middle up top of the line Uukha limbs.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here January comparisons.
Dan
That was interesting, cheers.

70" 38lb Uukha Sx+ had 53.7m/s (176.2fps)
70" 38lb Uukha Vx+ had 53.4m/s
70" 36lb Uukha Xx had 52m/s
68" 34lb Nika N3 (mk1?) had 50.5m/s

Not bad. Would've been better/helpful if he shot limbs the same weight! Looking at those numbers, perhaps a 38lb Nika N3 would've given the Sx+ a run for its money after all.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts