Trad Talk Forums banner

Nice job SAM

Tags
job nice sam
5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  stevelong 
#1 · (Edited)
I got this riser from SAM Dunham lately.
It's a 21" Bear riser of some sort, not sure what model it is.
Grip resembles my favorite RAMBO grip, close to my Quinn warf grip, also similar to my shorty 16" TD-1 grip.
Sam rigged it with DAS thumbscrew slots and DAS bushing dovetails.
I temporarily used stickey-back carpet tape to stick down DAS rubber pocket pads, so the DAS limb bushings will not need altered, I like keeping factory relationships when I can.
I don't like cutting bushings at 24$ per set.
Belly side of thumbscrew slots are kind of "hooded" by riser bolsters, so I went to the hardware store and got Allen-head machine screws 3/4" long, and with a small plastic washer the length was perfect.
I used a set of my Das Kinetic old limbs WW Everest Pro 38#-shorts(on 25" riser) on it, and with limb bolts 1 turn out from snug, it braced up low at 6.5", and shot great & quiet.
Notice SAM added a shelf bump and matching plunger threaded hole, and I used a shorty plunger with it, and it worked great.
ALL IN ALL a real nice shooter, and the 38# limbs scaled about 47# at 28".
Angles look a bit steep, I did not measure them at all, but they look like it would run ILF Longbow limbs real well.
See comparison of angles side-by-side with my camo Rambo riser.
NICE JOB SAM.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Rod, I was real surprised the way it fell together, it's just a "found" string that was close to right length, I was just assembling it & wanting to be sure riser & limbs all went together well, pads & Allen screws, since not a factory bow, etc.
Not planning on leaving it together, those being my DALAA limbs, I did not twist up the string or anything, mess with brace height, nock height, etc. - I just went ahead and shot it.
Didn't "tune" a bunch - I just set tiller to even, and went.
It shot nice.....fairly quiet even with bare string.....string was giving me forearm slap.

Reactions: Zulu
#14 ·
That looks like a riser I gave Sam a few months back. The guy I bought it from said it was a Bear Bearcat and it was a new old stock riser. I was going to put sage limbs on it but I could never find any of the old plastic limb pockets for it. I believe someone on here did one of those conversions with Sage limbs and the original pockets. Looks like a fine shooter.

Tim

#20 ·
Dadgotta, yes thanks for that link, I said all along in my mind it looked like one of the longer-than-17" mini-mag risers.
THANKS for the ID

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.