Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Civil but Disobedient
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article in the April California State NFAA affiliate (CBH/SAA) newsletter by Tom Daley outlining recent NFAA changes. Tom mentioned that longbow has been changed to allow one, two and three piece straight ended bows of any material. I thought this had been changed to prohibit three piece bows and metal risers. Can anyone confirm what the rule is going to be?

· Registered
2 Posts
hi, i think the change its just for better understanding, but Three pieces longbow i don't think that in under the rules of the longbow category. and never was

if i getting correctly, thats the change:

Longbow definition a) to be changed from:

“A bow of any material, which can be taken down in two parts and put together again into a one piece bow within the handle (only shared once in the handle), which when strung displays one continued unidirectional curve, which is measured as follows:”

to be reworded as follows:

“A bow of any material, which can be either an one piece bow or a bow that can be taken down in two parts and put together again as a one piece bow within the handle (only shared once in the handle), which when strung displays one continued unidirectional curve, which is measured as follows:”

· Civil but Disobedient
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is an NFAA rule change and does not affect IFAA or other organization. For those of you that missed it, there was a huge discussion of this a few months ago when original word was sent out about the change from Gary McCain. It was thought that because of the blowback from the longbow community, that the rule change had been amended.

· Civil but Disobedient
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hank, don't tell me you could have used one of your existing risers and just bought a set of longbow limbs!
I would not do that. I shoot longbow for a change of pace from my FITA barebow. A modern bow with longbow limbs is not enough of a change. I would go back to shooting my full FITA barebow.

· Registered
6,899 Posts
Well I'm acquiring a one-piece straight ended bow and I intend on keeping with the spirit of the class on the local and state level.

But that is just me.

-Grant

Reactions: ben maher

· finger shooter
3,580 Posts
Tom was trying to get the rule change, changed before it went into effect on June 1st. The directors voted in Feb to allow 3 piece bows as the article says, however because of the outcry by so many longbow shooters, Tom and Gary said they would try to amend it to be a 2 piece. Have not heard anymore since discussing this with Gary a month or so ago. Maybe Gary can jump in here and let us know the status. Funny I was thinking about this yesterday.....

· Registered
995 Posts
I heard also that the push would be to amend it to exclude the 3 piece. It is the 3 piece that any hardcore longbow shooter will agree is NOT a true longbow. The nature of the 3 piece has inherent tuning advantages, increased mass weight, etc...that make it significantly different than a traditional longbow.

It is also my understanding that the new rule will include hybrid longbows. Most longbow shooters that I know are fine with the inclusion of R/D hybrid longbows.

· finger shooter
3,580 Posts
I heard also that the push would be to amend it to exclude the 3 piece. It is the 3 piece that any hardcore longbow shooter will agree is NOT a true longbow. The nature of the 3 piece has inherent tuning advantages, increased mass weight, etc...that make it significantly different than a traditional longbow.

It is also my understanding that the new rule will include hybrid longbows. Most longbow shooters that I know are fine with the inclusion of R/D hybrid longbows.
Yes, even though I am not for hybrid longbows. I think the rule should stay the way it is.... but whatever builds the class I am good with. Other than a 3 piece, that just opens the class up to way too much.

· Registered
6,458 Posts
IBO uses the 1 or 2 piece in their definition, seems obvious what they are trying to do. Bummer nobody shoots that class locally, or I would pick one up. Of course you can only shoot the course 1 time, so not like you could pay again and shoot a second class. IBO also limits you to wood arrows, and I think if they wanted better attendance, maybe allowing aluminum and carbon would help. Does NFAA allow aluminum/carbon arrows?

IBO 2014
15. Longbow (LB)
A one (1) or two (2) piece longbow shot with fingers directly contacting the bowstring using a glove, finger tab, or bare fingers, Archers may use up to two (2) nock locating devices, but they must use the same nocking point and anchor point for each shot and the index finger must contact the string in the same place for each shot. The index finger must touch the nock of the arrow. Face and/or string walking are not permitted. No sighting device of any kind may be used. There shall be no markings on the bow or bowstring (intentional or accidental) that could be construed as sighting marks. No type of draw check or clicker may be used. Arrows shall be made of wood and shall be identical in length, weight, and color (allowances shall be made for normal wear). Arrows shall be shot off the hand or shelf of the riser. LB archers will shoot from the white stake.
A longbow shot in LB shall conform to the following specifications:
1. The bowstring, when the bow is strung, may only contact the nocks of the bow.
2. No stabilizers, counterbalances, or weights of any kind may be attached or built into the bow; except a bow quiver clearly designed to hold arrows.

· Registered
513 Posts
It's a disappointing rule change. Hopefully it can be amended in the future.

I'd be happy with a 1 or 2 piece bow. D shape or r/d doesn't matter much to me. But I think wood arrows are important for the longbow class. If you're going to change that I'd rather get rid of the class and shoot trad.

Also I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with allowing string/face walking in any class. As long everyone is shooting similar equipment let them figure out how to shoot it best.

· Registered
193 Posts
Ren, I totally agree a one or two piece of any make model or whatever...but no 3 piece...it just leaves the door wide open.

Dewayne
What Dewayne said. Let the guys with Toelke Whips and Centaurs play too. As long as they shoot wood arrows I'm okay with it.

But if someone shows up with a Metal riser and longbow limbs everyone could shame them to death and they'll never bring that bow back again lol

· Registered
9,568 Posts
I think a Flatbow should be shooting wood arrows, it's just the way it should be. The problem I see though is that sticking to that rule could mean the end of the class. Kids today are an instant results instant gratification lot. Why painstakingly make a matched set of woods when you can have a dozen carbons cut fletched and shooting in a hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,970 Posts
After talking to Mr. Daley at the IBO shoot at Orestimba, what I got was that the amendment will be amended. This is not exact final wording but the practical application will to allow 2 piece, take down in the handle, and to define longbow as a bow where the string only touches the limbs at the string nocks.

So, 3 piece out, and "D" profile no longer strictly required. R/D or "hybrid" is in. Keep in mind though that whatever does come out as final wording will not be in effect until 6/1/14.

· Registered
513 Posts
I agree Calvin, that sounds about as good as it's going to get.

I don't think it's too hard to make a decent set of wood arrows though. If get you quality shafts it's very doable for most anyone. You can always buy some finished arrows too. Elite Arrows makes a fantastic product. If you can't shoot those arrows accurately it's your fault.

Jon, not all of us kids are the same ;)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.