Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my season shooting a longbow and wood arrows. These are some of the things I found from a first timer's perspective.

You really can shoot an NFAA field tournament with a longbow and wood arrows. You just need to learn to adjust between shots on the long ones.

After experimenting with point’s-on from 27 to 47 yards, I went with my heavy arrows and low anchor which gave me about 37. I think the shorter point-on provided better scoring opportunities on the shorter shots, which are easier to bag points on. I was missing on too many short shots with the longer point-on.

As LBG pointed out, there is a mid-distance that will give you trouble and needs to be worked on. Mine was 17 to 20 yards with my 37 yard point-on. There were times when I was completely confused and did not know how to construct the shot, especially, during the animal rounds since my gaps were relative to positions on the standard target faces.

It is harder to maintain my form with the longbow. This is because the longbow is heavier over the last inch at release than my recurve. The extra weight was affecting my ability to release with my back, especially, when I fatigued.

I had difficulty getting my arrow tip elevated to my aiming point which caused me to hold for very long time periods (compound times). This often caused me to collapse. I had conquered this problem last summer with my recurve. I will have to go back to the light limbs and work on it again this summer.

It is difficult to shoot a field tournament without well-defined sight points. I did not have sufficient time to prepare. I changed to my heavier arrows a week before the tournament after breaking too many of my light ones. I only sighted from 10 to 40 yards in 5 yard intervals, and very crudely. More time would have helped. I think a year of shooting the same setup would really boost my scores.

So I did better than I expected. I did not score well but made some good shots. I just had way too many holes in my game due to insufficient preparation. I found field archery very enjoyable, much more so than shooting lines in a target tournament. I am not sure where I will go with the longbow. I think I will definitely continue to use it for 3D and traditional shoots. I would not rule out shooting NFAA field next year. For now I am returning to my FITA barebow and beginning preparations for the October FITA field in Arizona, where I will be back to stringwalking.

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
Glad you enjoyed. Longbow and wooden arrows make for a stern challenge. But that is what brought us to the sport. - lbg

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I forgot to mention. Out of my conversations with two really good longbow shooters that I was grouped with, came the idea to put a clickety click on my old Samick SLB longbow and use it for form practice. The Samick is the same holding weight as my Falco. I learned a lot last summer using a FITA style clicker on my recurve. Using the Samick will allow me to do the same without risking damaging my Falco.

Part of the value of the tournament was being able to shoot with accomplished longbow shooters who were very friendly and willing to help. We supported each other throughout the tournament.

I am now contemplating going to a trad shoot this Sunday in the Mojave Desert. It should be very hot. It is a low key 3D. I have a slight back injury and have not shot since the Cal Field. I am going to a 2 day kayak school the weekend after next, so it really depends on how my recovery goes. This will give me one more go around with the longbow before I start getting back into my recurve (...did I mention that I bought one of Gary's famous adjustable springy's at the tournament?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.