Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking at shooting a lot more field archery this upcoming year as a break from the usual 3D.

I'm curious to see how people setup for the round. What things are important to you? What type of PO distance do you want? Speed? Bow poundage? Hoping for specifics to get a starting point to work off from those of you who have more experience with the round.

Thanks.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Well, I will be getting my one piece longbow soon that I am going to be setting up for NFAA field. Poundage will be about 40 at my draw, speed and PO will be slower and shorter than an ILF longbow.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like a 40-45 yards point on. I like a fast arrow that shoots flat. I shoot 38# recurve with 320gr arrow ACE. For me I feel my arrows and stabilizer are important part of my equipment. Next would be my riser and carbon limbs.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
If you can get a 40-45yd POD with arrows going >200fps then you are in a really good place.
A rest with some vertical compliance like a springy or some wire rests will help cut a few yards off your POD.

Most guys seem to like the dish-style stabs with 12-18oz of weight on the end.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I have been shooting with the compounds in bare bow. This year I am going to shoot the recurve.

I have cropped way down in draw weight. shooting 32# on my fingers. Right now I have Cartel triple .700. Point on is 53 yards. I may change to lighter arrow.

I got 15 to 65 yards covered. Struggle with < 15 and > 65.

Work in progress

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
Draw length is a big factor, and determines the draw weight, arrow weight and arrow length you can use to get the point-on distance and sighting references you prefer. I have used point-on distances mostly from 50 to 55 yards. Drawing 29.5" I can get that with 370 grain arrows from a 33# recurve or 500 grain arrows from a 42# longbow. Shorter draws require heavier draw weights or lighter shorter arrows. There are many variables and several aiming methods, so there are various set-ups that work for their owners.

It takes a lot of practice arrows in a day, a week, a month and a year to get good at this game, so light to moderate draw weights are common. - lbg

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm going to be setting up a [email protected] longbow for NFAA field. I'll probably be pulling it a touch more than 30. I'm looking to get some spruce shafts around 370 grains and have a point on of around 45 yards. I don't know what speeds that will put out but I'm hoping to be over 180fps.

If I can get it all set up and be shooting well locally I plan on shooting the Mid-Atlantic sectionals and possibly the New England sectionals. I've heard the NFAA nationals will be in PA next year and I really want to shoot that.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I have a 70-75 yard point-on distance (haven't checked it with my newest arrows). I like this, as even with a good one-piece longbow like a Fox triple crown, 40# and wooden arrows nets you about 170fps, give or take. So, I like the long POD so that I can gap the closer shots, but be near my PO for the longer shots. Just having the point on paper at a longer distance is a big confidence booster, and I find that my scores go up when I don't have to stack so far above the target like I used to with my 45 yard PO distance.

Outdoor field is far and away my favorite event in archery, but I probably won't get to shoot it this year if my plans work out. I'll likely be in Africa before the stupid snow melts up here in the tundra.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've been debating my field set up for this season for NFAA Trad.

I think I will shoot my Spig VBS with the SF Ultimate Pro limbs at #44 with a 12 inch stab.

I am shooting Easton Lightspeeds 500 at full length with Kurly Vanes and 50 grain Top Hat points. They weigh 314 grains and go ~210 FPS. Point on is around 50 yards.

Compared to last season's set up (Dorado with 45# Carbon Black Max limbs) I expect this will do much better.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
The average Field distance is around 40/45y so people tend to keep their point on around this distance to take advantage of this fact, plus it keeps the 30 yard and under Gaps more useable. Out of 112 arrow not really that many shots past 60y.

The thing I'm enjoying about this Stringwalking everything is pretty much point on so I'm back to a lower anchor and longer point on 55-60y depending on the arrow used i.e. my crawls run out and have to start Gapping. I think this will also benefit me for my IFAA 3D with a 60y max. Last week I was shooting 5 yards out either way to estimate the margin of error for 3D, a lot of shots I would still be scoring on a 3D and it's rare that I'm out by more than 3 yards on my range estimation.

Personally I find IFAA 3D equally challenging because you have to estimate distance out to 60y, they're slightly different skill sets but they do compliment each other, besides it's more fun to mix it up.

Using the Stolid Bull with 43# Hex6 limbs (I'm guessing set around 44-45#) and either 500 Lightspeeds (3D) or Navigators (Field) I managed to get one IFAA 3D tourney in with Stringwalking last Nov and shot a 520 and one practice 1/2 Field round and shot 230, that was with the Moon riser and pretty happy with those results for first attempt.

·
Registered
712 Posts
For the uninitiated, what is the difference in field and 3D?

Alan

·
Registered
878 Posts
3D is shot at animal targets; field is shot at paper targets on butts at marked distances (nfaa/ifaa) out to eighty yards and as close as twenty feet

The black target faces are used in "hunter" rounds, the targets with black outer rings are the "field" faces.

table showing the different distances and targets used:

https://www.nfaausa.com/sites/default/files/Range-and-Target-Guidelines-for-NFAA-Rounds_0.pdf

This picture is a practice range - a full field course will have 28 of these targets, usually on a trail through the woods

·
Registered
193 Posts
For the uninitiated, what is the difference in field and 3D?

Alan
I'll take a stab at this. Field requires you to shoot distance wise from 20' to 80 yards. There are "walk-ups", "fans", etc. All known distances. Go to NFAA website and you can see the requirements for the different rounds we shoot. When shooting a full field, (28 field, 28 hunter, 28 animal)it's lots of arrows. As far as 3D, I only shoot ASA, so I can only speak to that. It's 25yd. max distance, for my class. All unknown yardages.

As for the OP inquiry, I shoot 34lbs, but my draw length is 31". As previously stated I can get away with lighter poundage, I'm in Silver Senior class, so it helps someone like me. Don't rule out ACC's. They work pretty good for me, shooting field, having said that, the Victory VAP 1's are getting to be the go to arrow around here for field. They had a problem with the VAP's when they first came out, but they've overcome them, and they're quite popular around here. At my draw weight, the only "dicey" target is the 80 yard walk-up, but that's small price to pay, there's only a few shots at that distance. I also shoot the "dish" type stabilizer. I have other problems, when it comes to shooting field these days, but they have nothing to do with the bow and arrows I shoot. I think I will have to go back to barebow class after this year.

I hope you have much success in your "field" endeavors this year!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ok, so for field, know your string walking really well, for 3D - have lots of arrows ;-)

Thanks.

Alan

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Ok, so for field, know your string walking really well, for 3D - have lots of arrows ;-)

Thanks.

Alan
NFAA Trad doesn't permit stringwalking.

Oddly enough I'd consider stringwalking to be much more beneficial for 3D then Field.

-Grant

·
Registered
502 Posts
Grant - Why do you think that?

There's so many distances you have to account for in field. I'd think it would be more beneficial to be able to walk the string there than in 3D. In 3D you can get a reasonable point on set up and gap off that for most of your shots.

Stringwalking is going to be more accurate in both cases but if I had to pick only one to stringwalk I'd pick field.

Keep in mind I have almost no experiece here so I know pretty much nothing. I just want to know what your thinking on this is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts