Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While it's not indoor season yet, I thought to start a new thread for this marvellous form of self torture.

Last week I decided my form needs work and dug up my indoor/ target setup. Lacking proper coaching I use the 300- round as a benchmark and a tool to evaluate and improve my shooting.

I shoot in the IFAA Bowhunter Recurve (NFAA TRAD) class. My bow is an old Hoyt Avalon plus riser, long Kap Carbon wood/carbon limbs giving 36#@30.5" Full length Gamegetter 2117 arrows with 5" feathers and 300 grs up front.

Oh boy this is hard after a long break. Shot sequence seemed semi- solid but finding correct focus on the sight picture just evaded me. I'll try and put aside some time to do this once a week.

Please share information on your equipment and shooting style. Go shoot some scores to share and let's improve together.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone interested?

I suffered a minor wrist injury at work and have to abstain from archery for a week or two.
But I'll be back!

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
That’s a damn fine score. With having issues I would love to have that.
It’s a bit early in the season for me, working on outdoor and gaps at different ranges. I’ll be in this post after hunting season, September.
At least I’ll track my scores.

Chad

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Just figured out I had to join the forum to post.
Barking mad do you shoot with a plunger.I am surprised you are shooting 2117s.I have tried 2016s at 30# but only with 125 upfront but arrow flight was bad.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mamba, sorry for the belated answer.

A heavier point combined with the long shaft makes the arrow spine work for me.
I shoot with a plunger and a flipper rest.

Reactions: mamba

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Some of our winter leagues were cut short last March because of covid.We are all scratching are head wondering if we will be able to shoot this winter.It will be a long winter if we can't.

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
11/13/20 259, don’t normally count x’s.
what hurts is I had two rounds that were 19’s

11/14/20 263, was very happy with this score since I had some rounds that were not very strong.

Today no score, worked on blind bale and draw holds for 30 min.

Chad

League starts this Thursday, will be shooting a 300 Vegas spot.

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
Thanks Nikko

I normally shoot in the 245-255 range for a long time so breaking above the 255 is exciting for me lol. Simple things for simple minds.

Yesterday 11/16/20 wasn’t so well, head not in the right place. Shot two rounds of 19 and another round of a 16.
Hind sight should have just stopped and went to drills, but decided to finish and managed to shoot a 248.

11/17/20 Today was a better day, shooting wise.
Scored another 263.
So drills are helping.

Chad

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice going, Chad. Getting out and shooting is the main thing.

Covid closed our indoor venue and I have been lazy and not shooting the 300 outdoors.
I know I should...

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
Shot league tonight with the WF21 with some xl limbs and a 20oz springy.
Shot a 266, last round of the first half lost focus and shot an 18,
Second half wasn’t as strong but still happy with the score.

-13 below zero without wind chill, I won’t shoot in that lol.

Chad

·
Registered
177 Posts
I shot a practice 300 round yesterday to check my setup. Omega Imperial 40# @28, drawing just over that. 34" Black Eagle traditional 400 spine with 200 gr points. Scored a 249 which is about where I though I would be. Problem is I robin hooded 2 arrows. I won't be able to shoot the full season that way. Anyone use pin nocks in the black eagles or shoot 5 spot in the traditional or longbow classes?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I used G-uni bushings averaging +265 without any arrow damage over 2 seasons. Pins tend to get bent and you don't notice until an arrow won't group.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My club just started up its Indoor Fall/Winter league last week. Two practice sessions and 10wks of scoring. I have been messing around with different arrows and tip weights to get a 20yd point on. My current setup is 35# OTF shooting GT Trad Classic Blems, 340 spine full length for a total weight of 680gr. These are my hunting arrows but seemed to work well with my setup. They are heavy and painfully slow but I seem to be shooting better being able to hold right on the 5 ring. This is my first indoor league, I'm loving it but find keeping concentration through the whole round tough. Just curious what setups others are using, training advice ect.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I shot a practice 300 round yesterday to check my setup. Omega Imperial 40# @28, drawing just over that. 34" Black Eagle traditional 400 spine with 200 gr points. Scored a 249 which is about where I though I would be. Problem is I robin hooded 2 arrows. I won't be able to shoot the full season that way. Anyone use pin nocks in the black eagles or shoot 5 spot in the traditional or longbow classes?
Pin nocks have saved me hundreds of arrows. I always spin check after hitting the pin nock bushing. Replacing a bushing sure beats replacing an arrow.
Rectangle Wood Font Office supplies Cuisine

After a hit, I spin test the bushing then remove any burs using a pocket knife. Replace the nock and triple check that the arrow is flying and hitting with the rest of the group. Some of my pin nock bushings look like Phillip screw drivers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
our league starts in a couple weeks.I will be trying to hit the elusive 200.I have done better than that in my yard but elbow to elbow on the line (THINGS HAPPEN).

239, 245, 249 so far. I am leading the tfaa longbow division so far, but it is going to be a long season shooting against a friend who has been shooter of the year the last 3 years in the traditional division. 270s at home in the yard, but something happens indoors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts