Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a bow and found one locally for sale. Problem is I know nothing about it and am hoping someone from here might shed some information with me.

Howatt Custom Bushmaster 50#@28" ML-18. Looks to be a long bow. Have only seen it unstrung and it is not curved.

I have held it and turned it every way I can think. This is what I have found on it: In a cursive script style of black ink, it says "Howatt" (lower limb), Custom Bushmaster (upper limb), 50# @ 28", MOA 64", ML 18, 3918 (below the grip riser), [Note: I can find no mention of "Martin" anywhere on it].

The mid section is a reddish colored wood, it looks real nice, but I have no way to date it or a clue as to what range of value it should be in.

Condition looks to be very good to excellent with no visible cracks, twists, repairs, drilled holes and or etc.

Would anyone be able to help out with date of mfr, years sold, going price range and/or other information?

I've done google, yahoo, backpage, e-bay and several other searches and come up with nada. I have also written to people on several boards plus other places, I am sure someone will write back, but nothing yet.

Appologies for any duplication of requests and thanks in advance, ****

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nuke, unless this particular bow was a custom order, the riser (handle section) should be made of Shedua (an African hardwood) with Red Elm limb laminations under clear fiberglass. The limb tips and belly side of the riser would have brown and gray fiberglass overlays (unless it was the very last model year). The Bushmaster was a very popular "moderately" reflexed/deflexed longbow made from 1992 to 2000. I think it was totally replaced by the more "radically" reflexed/deflexed Martin Vision longbow in 2001. When the Bushmaster was first introduced, I thought the geometry was very similar to the Archery Traditions Longhunter (which was very popular at the time). The Martin-Howatt Bushmaster is a great longbow in my opinion. Clint

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, ****.
One of the best places on the web.

Erich

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent bow! Been shooting the same model for over a year now, and am very pleased with overall performance. Be aware of two things: I believe Howatt (Martin) measures (or measured) their poundage @ 28" differently than the norm, and you'll probably find the "50#" to be more like ~53#. Also, if you're new to longbows/recurves, a bow of this poundage may be more than you should start out with (i.e.: you'll be "overbowed").

·
Super Moderator
7,977 Posts
we weigh bows exactly to amo specifications. odd how i can weigh a bow prior to leaving the shop exactly as we do all bows and qualify for world flight where even a 1/4 pound excess will kick you out and yet this myth of over weighing keeps going on and on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry Larry...

Have heard the "myth" numerous times, and my bow was measured by a friend on his scale (can't verify the accuracy of the scale or his method). Will respectfully do my part to "squelch" the myth from this point forward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would you be able to tell me the year of manufacture? Thanks and happy shooting!

we weigh bows exactly to amo specifications. odd how i can weigh a bow prior to leaving the shop exactly as we do all bows and qualify for world flight where even a 1/4 pound excess will kick you out and yet this myth of over weighing keeps going on and on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The bow was in a pawn shop for $249.99 in Abilene, TX called Wild Bill's (South 1st St. location). I thought it was a little high, so I made them an offer; they refused. I made the same offer each week over a 4 week period. Each time the offer was refused.

Last week I saw the bow on e-Bay.com offered by the same outfit. The winning bid was $162.50 - a good sum below what I offered.

I don't know who was the looser here; me for offering or them for refusing. However, if I were that business' owner, I'd be highly interested in why my employees were letting my "bottom line cash profits" waltz out the door and more importantly, how often they were doing it.

Thought you all deserved a follow up, ****

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.