Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a little back story... I'm new to archery, no experience with compound or recurve bows. My kids originally wanted to start shooting
and I thought this would give us the opportunity to spend more time together. I've decided to get a 45# Samick Sage, read nothing but
good reviews on this bow. I'm trying to decide what bows to get for them, compound or recurve T/D so input on that would be appreciated
as well. But I need advice on what arrows to get, I honestly have no idea. I'm 6"4 about 270 and I have a 30" draw. Mainly going
to be target shooting in the back yard but would like something I could use hunting if I decided to start.I'll probably put a rest on it
and sites, I know this is not truly traditional but I'll need all the help I can get, lol. Again, I know nothing about this, spine, grains, weight,
all of this is greek to me so I need as much help as I can get from the people in the know here. I'm ordering from Twig Archery today,
so I thought I'd check with you guys first. Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

·
Registered
463 Posts
The Sage is a fine bow, but with your 30" draw I think you would be happier with the Samick Journey. From what I understand it's the exact same bow as the Sage but with longer limbs making a 64" bow instead of 62".

A .400 spine arrow 32" long with a 125 gr. point should get close.

3Rivers archery has a Dynamic Spine Calculator on the web site that might useful to you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As far as bows for your children, how old are they?

There are some nice youth bows for sale here on the TT Trading Blanket. Jspen has a thread titled "Spring Cleaning Sale" or something like that, check those out.

BTW, welcome to TradTalk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are identical. I myself have a 45# sage! But i have a 28 draw. By far the best recurve for the money. I shoot Beman centershot carbon arrows fletched with a 4 inch helical
they are a 500 spine and i got them off of huntersfriend.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello.

If you are brand-spanking new to archery, no matter your physique, you may find a 45# bow to be to your disadvantage during the initial learning curve.

You want to learn archery without an overly-heavy, weight-lifting component present. This allows you to dominate the bow with absolute control and finesse on every shot you take (that includes shot number 75 on a long, sunny afternoon!), as well as allowing you to explore and accomplish any technical element needed in an efficient manner.

Shooting an overly-heavy bow is a bit like doing a pull-up with an overly-heavy body. That strain and quaking as you get your chin up near the bar also happens on a bow. Performing a pull-up with a light body changes this dynamic, and you can effortlessly accomplish the pull-up with grace and accuracy ... along with all the rest of the pull-ups you desire to perform.

Just a heads-up for your perusal.

If you're shooting in a home-schooled vacuum, grab a copy of Camera's "Shooting the Stickbow". This is an inexpensive and comprehensive archery tutorial that may assist you in learning the ins and outs of proper archery technique.

Rests and sights are as trad as it gets, so don't sweat that stuff. It's your hobby, and your call on anything you desire.

Whatever bow you order, the dealer can certainly recommend the proper arrows to match ... carbon, aluminum, or wood. All are good. Your taste here, as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as bows for your children, how old are they?

There are some nice youth bows for sale here on the TT Trading Blanket. Jspen has a thread titled "Spring Cleaning Sale" or something like that, check those out.

BTW, welcome to TradTalk.
Thanks to all for your help.

I have 3 kids, ranging in ages, 24 yr old son 5'9 150 lbs 27" draw.
19 yr old daughter 5'8 140 lbs 25" draw
and 10 yr old son I haven't measured yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Sage is a fine bow, but with your 30" draw I think you would be happier with the Samick Journey. From what I understand it's the exact same bow as the Sage but with longer limbs making a 64" bow instead of 62".

A .400 spine arrow 32" long with a 125 gr. point should get close.

3Rivers archery has a Dynamic Spine Calculator on the web site that might useful to you.
I haven't heard much about the Journey. Pretty good bow?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Same bow as the Sage just with 2" long limbs for a smoother draw.

I set a friend up with a set of Journey limbs of 30# after he was sold a 40# Sage by a local shop. He has a 31" DL and the Sage gets very tough past ~28" or so. Plus 50# (what it was at his DL) is way too much to learn with.

-Grant

·
crazy archer
541 Posts
I love the Samick Sage. I am bias of living Sages and thinking they are the best. I hope you enjoy your bow and shoot it for a long time, they are very good bows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with a draw of 30" I should get the Journey instead of the sage? I just don't want to screw up. And from the answers here, I should get 32" arrows? Now, is there anywhere to get assembled arrows or do I build them myself. Remember this is all new to me. I just wish there was somewhere that just had the exact arrows for draw length and draw weight to just order from. I need someone to basically tell me the exact arrows I should get so I don't screw up and waste a lot of money lol...

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Get a Journey with 30# limbs (trust me) and for arrows I'd get the cheapest Radial X-weaves (hunter STL I think). They are 32" 500 spine so leave them full length. LAS can sell them to you with feathers (you want feathers) installed along with some 100gr field points.

-Grant

·
Registered
291 Posts
So with a draw of 30" I should get the Journey instead of the sage? I just don't want to screw up. And from the answers here, I should get 32" arrows? Now, is there anywhere to get assembled arrows or do I build them myself. Remember this is all new to me. I just wish there was somewhere that just had the exact arrows for draw length and draw weight to just order from. I need someone to basically tell me the exact arrows I should get so I don't screw up and waste a lot of money lol...
With your height I wouldn't be surprised if your draw length stretched out to 31+" as you got into it. We have a family of big fellows at our club and they regularly break limbs. If I were you I definitely would get as long limbs as possible. Samick Polaris used to do a 70" setup. You wouldn't break that plus it wouldn't stack. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
First, Welcome to TT!

Gold Tip 3555 shafts/arrows would also put you in the ball park. I too am a about your ht/wt and with a 30" draw… I have a 45# BigHorn bow @ 30" and the GT's shoot fine… I cut them a little, to ~31". Good Luck- All the best.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. I've never put an arrow together, that's why I'm trying to find out where I can buy ready to shoot arrows that I have nothing to do anything to. That's why I'm looking for someone to give me a link or address where I can just go straight to and order. Maybe that's not possible, being new to this I honestly have no idea. I'm sorry about all the questions, I just don't want to make any mistakes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts