Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Is that riser made of antler? That's really cool. I wonder if there is some internal reinforcement?

Edit: Alina, you should give it a try! Get a pair of longbow limbs and you can join the dark side!

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
That's pretty cool, I gotta take a closer look at that old elk antler in the shed....maybe I can WARF it! :cheers:

·
Northman
486 Posts
Steves a cool dude and very friendly. I had him make me a set of buffalo horn limb bolts for one of my bows and me the big dummy ordered em with the wrong thread size...he made me a second set no questions asked and didn't even want to charge me for them...I couldn't let that go so I of course insisted on paying the man. Class act.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, you can't warf an elk antler. Maybe Steve would jump on here and comment on the strength of the elk riser. I remember him saying something about driving a car over one or standing on one between two twelve inch blocks. What ever it was it was something real impressive.

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I personally know someone who shot one of his 80# models....one time! :lol:

so I don't think "strength" is an issue when it comes to his elk antler risers!

and yes....extremely cool. :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yea, you can't warf an elk antler. Maybe Steve would jump on here and comment on the strength of the elk riser. I remember him saying something about driving a car over one or standing on one between two twelve inch blocks. What ever it was it was something real impressive.

Bowmania
Pound for pound as strong as steel.

The surgeon that re-broke my leg for me told me that.

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
I have looked at those Voodoo Elk bows for a while. Always wanted to try one

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Fellas, Thanks for the kind words, I built this bow as a warm up to getting back in the shop after some medical issues, but i'm back on my feet and off all the meds, still in some pain, but the worst is behind me, anyway
here's a pic of my 540# brother standing on the thinnest riser I've built, didn't flex a bit either, so I really have a lot of confidence in the strength of these risers once they go through my process, which is done by putting a special epoxy into them under heat and pressure then cooked for a few hours. I do each one individually by hand so I know they are done correctly, and Antler risers are the only ones I make, no wood, no metal, no phenolic, Just Antler, not that there's anything wrong with those other materials, I just love working with the Antler, sometimes I do knives and also even make some spinning rods with antler seats too, I only wish it was easier to obtain, finding suitable pieces has become a challenge, as well as the ILF fittings I need, and until Lancaster gets more in I'm at a standstill with the Elk ILF risers.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts