Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

New here, I was on some other forms a few years back but having been active in years.

Been shooting single strings for 12 years now, shot compounds prior.

Started of with a 55# Samick Sage, still have the bow and shoot it often and use it as a back up hunting bow but I shoot 40-45# limbs now. I have had a bunch of different bows over the years as I’m sure most of us have. Currently hunting with a Old Mountain Mesa 64” [email protected], great bow but looking to sell it for a 19” ILF rig. I have a cheap 25”ILF riser and some medium 45# blaclmax limbs That I want to put on a 19” riser and use for 3D and hunting.

Started self taught and trying to “burn a hole” in the target, progressed very little after 2 years. I was at a local range slinging arrows (shotgun patters lol) when I meet Mark Dreiling and Spanky Brooks. They taught me a lot, form, aiming (I gap with and without a fixed crawl)
and my shooting got way better, went from 6.5 average on 3D courses to around 8.8 - 9.0. Unfortunately I lost contact with them years back.

Then I developed severe target panic, to the point I couldn’t even anchor. Got so bad I quit shooting recurves for a little while and went back to compound (didn’t have TP with training wheels or firearms, and thank God because I might have been out of a job lol).

Finally decided that I wasn’t going to give up, tried all the typical TP fixes and kept working at it. I’m proud to say that I’m now recovering very well and I’m at about 95% control of my shooting. It’s been about a 6 year battle!!!

My youngest son is 13 and has been shooting with me for a few years now. He told me a few weeks ago that he wants to start bow hunting with a recurve!! Very exciting new adventure!! He also is set on us starting a “YouTube channel” lol not sure how well that will go but I figure if it’s something we bond with then it can’t be a wrong choice. Our oldest boy (grown now) was into shooting as a kid but lost interest, don’t want to miss the mark again. My daughters are showing interest in it too so it’s now a family adventure.

Well I think that’s about it for now, look forward to talking with y’all and learning some new things.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mark and Spanky still make it over to Hutch to shoot on occasion, I have been working out of town the last few months and weekends have been taken over with lots of catch up stuff but if you are going to be around then we will have to get together. TP went through here like the Covid so we all have something to share about that now. Glad you're here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark and Spanky still make it over to Hutch to shoot on occasion, I have been working out of town the last few months and weekends have been taken over with lots of catch up stuff but if you are going to be around then we will have to get together. TP went through here like the Covid so we all have something to share about that now. Glad you're here.
Thanks Glen, are you still shooting the Wednesday evening shoot at Salt Hawk in Hutch? I went a few times last summer with my kids.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome! I've ran into Spanky once, at Diamond Archery. Might have ran into Mark and Glen there, but don't know for sure. Lots of great guys here.

Reactions: Waymaker86

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
welcome to the gang of goons.
if Wyatt was referring to me, the dangerous part is I'm old & break easy.

Reactions: Waymaker86
1 - 7 of 7 Posts