Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'm new to shooting a recurve got a Fred bear grizzley 45# and the archery store said draw langth is 26.5to 27" and set me up with beman 400 center shot trad at 31.5" with 100 and 125 fild points what would you all suggest arrow for bow I have.

Thank, jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Welcome Jake! I agree with Bart, I think you'll have a much easier time getting 600's to shoot good for you.

·
Premium Member
12,785 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good advice above.
At least the shop left the arrows long, better than short, for spine.
Spine stiffens as arrow shortens.
You could try some 145 or 160-175 grain points.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What you have may turn out to be too stiff in the long run or they may work out fine, but I expect you will at least need a little more point weight. With your draw length, if it stays the same, you are holding about 42#. Whether you need a .400, .500, or something even weaker is tough to say since a lot of it is determined by individual shooting style.

The calculator posted above is a good way to get in the ballpark on shaft selection.

If your arrows are flying ok and not hitting the riser (usually accompanied by a "clack"), you are probably fine for now. When you are starting out a lot of things will change as you go forward, not only is it impractical to look for the perfect arrow at this point it is probably impossible since your form will change.

Once you develop some consistency you can tune the bow/arrow system to your shooting. My favorite process is to shoot groups of two or three bare shafts and two or three fletched and compare the impact as described in this link...http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

Bare shaft tuning without decent or at least consistent form is going to frustrating and counterproductive. It's not difficult though so once you get past the newbie stage give it a try. Unfortunately nobody can tell you what arrows are right for you and your bow, there are too many variables involved.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use those same arrows, with your same bow and draw pength, but i use a 500 spine with 125gr points

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry but for got to up date have ended up getting gold tip 400 with 125 gr field point and moved nock point wich was set wrong now it shoots grate want to thank every one for there input and hope to post up more soon. Thanks jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.