Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did it, I set up my 25" Avalon Plus with Hoyt FX 40# limbs with 27" DL. This year I am going to try gap shooting and three under (thanks to Dave Holqust's suggestion). I tried Platinum plus 1916 31" arras with 100 gr points.

I am looking for suggestions on the arrows and how to hold anchor.

My point on looked like 35 yards according to a test at a field target. I am right handed and I had to hold the tip of the arrow on the right side of the target at 35 yards to get it to hit near center. What would you suggest, cut the arrow or add weight to the tip?

I am used to using an SRF, so I hold split finger with index finger at the corner of my mouth and hook my jawbone with my thumb. With three under I held the nock at the corner of my mouth with the string to the right of my eye. I tried moving the sting in front of my eye and it did move the arrow to the right a bit. Is this about right?

I shot my first 3D with this rig yesterday and only missed 5 animals, however, I did get one 12. I have done better off course.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Rick, maybe over the holiday weekend we can get together for a setup/tuning session? My club is having a shoot so maybe in conjunction with that?

As Matt's photos show, it's critical to get the arrow up under your eye as possible. It will be a big change from your former style but will help immensely once you've mastered it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Matt,
Thanks for the form photos. It was nice to tag along with you all last year at the Trad Worlds when you were shooting for quarters. I could have sworn you guys were friends for years, what a hoot!

Dave,
Sounds like a good idea, I will check with Karyn to see if that will work out. The bow draws nice and smooth that is for sure. I have a pair of 48# limbs coming soon so I can try those as well.

The small g nocks are working on my string so I don't have to swap those out.

Do the arrows seem the right size for 40#'s?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Matt who is the guy in orange, that's a crazy high anchor. I think that's higher then JW's. Lol

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
With Stingwalking you can use a lower anchor, when I gapped I struggled with the high anchor, think my face shape is all wrong and followthrough was weak, lower ancher is giving more comfort and stronger conclusion.

Sometimes you end up trading form for aim something to consider when experimenting with a higher anchor position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts