Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am John's friend, Marc. I am new to archery and excited to learn and improve.

My username Gooddoggus (Good dog Gus) is derived from my first seizure alert dog, Gus. Gus was an amazing dog that taught me that such a resource as a seizure alert dog existed. He was a brilliant, peaceful, and playful dog. My new dog met and knew Gus when she was a puppy. She will be equally as amazing even at less than 2.

I received the donated gear and have read the threads. I am honored by the positive efforts and natures of all involved.

I would like to thank:

Juliasdad for the beautiful Bear Tigercat Recurve that is hanging in my room.

Bow Rider for the custom and tailored bowstring.

Steve P for the quiver, armguard, and tab (hanging in my livingroom)

Fozziebear for the archery exerciser which sees much daily use.

John for the (6) fletched XX75 1716 Platinum shaft arrows, bag target and bow stringer. In addition to guiding me in establishing my frame and form.

I look forward to to learning more about archery in general, and more specifically, participating in traditional archery in addition to contributing to this forum as I may.

Thank you,

Marc

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Welcome Marc ... delighted that you've joined us

The golden rule here is ... don't be affraid to ask.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Hey Marc ... to kick things off, how about you start a thread telling us how your adventure into archery is going so far ? That way a discussion has begun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi
Sorry about slow response. I am recovering from walking pneumonia and catching up on winterizing.
I am getting my 20+ pulls a day with the exercise thing. I am doing multiple sets of six. I am able to maintain my frame and draw form for all six in the set. I plan on putting noc to string this weekend with the archery lane in my barn which John assisted in establishing.

My current journey into archery began with a 20# take down bow and two arrows. I used it for a couple years and passed it to an undergraduate I was mentoring to help him relax and focus. That was about 10 years ago. No idea about the fate of the bow or individual. I hope it is still being used by somebody. A couple of years ago I bought a kids compound bow in attempt to get back to placing arrows. That was not a solution. So kept looking.
In the mean time, I bought my nephews each an age appropriate archery set to use as my other brothers place. Not sure if they have been used.
Then i met John, he mentioned he did archery. And now i am here. I have recently acquired a 20# take down bow in bag. My step dad is interested trying archery. He is missing half of his draw string bicep. Next visit to family will likely involve arhcery with maybe 3 generations of beginners. My brother has an indoor riding arena.
My current dog is Rose. She is a nearly 2 year old red merle Australian Shepherd with blue eyes. She is a very talented detection dog. She doesn't chase deer, though she has a couple that play in limited capacity. Rose is a very sweet dog. She is going to be an amazing dog when she grows up.
Gus in known by many around the country and world. He taught me he could detect seizure up to 10 minutes in advance. He would open the doors to get outside and alert me while i was mowing the yard. No ofactory(sp) connectivity, in otherwords. Gus did not use smell. Neither does Rose. I do not know how they can detect. But in my case, smell has been objectively eliminated.
Gus was a brillant dog that could walk through a herd of deer with me or have a covey of quail walk by and not move a muscle. Squirrels and chipmunks were a different story. Fawns would look at gus and try to get him to play. He would watch them. The mother eventually would snort. The fawn recogized Gus as a dog and started bouncing around the orchard. Gus liked watching wild life tv. Rose does as well.
I have photo of Gus at a talk on dark matter and how it's inferred via observed micro-lensing. Gus like to surf on sine waves and car seats.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.