Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently found out about this site from a podcast. I’ve been making and hunting with self bows for the last few years. So far I I’ve only killed opossums, a raccoon, a rabbit. I mainly use hickory wood, hence the user name. I live in SW Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
12,103 Posts
welcome to the forum. since you are a selfbow guy, do you shoot wood arrows?
I shoot mostly DAS bows & ILF warfs...... I would not know how to start to build bows. A friend of mine makes them. His bows rattle my teeth. Not being critical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I mostly shoot carbons, for ease of tuning and for changing points quick and easy. But I do have some river cane that I plan on making some arrows with. I haven’t built any bows heavier than 45 LB and I haven’t really had a problem with hand shock as long as I get the brace height right, but that may be different with heavier bows. I’ve never shot a laminated recurve or longbow so I don’t know how the shoot either.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
Welcome. Building a selfbow is something I plan to do, but not yet have done. Have heard that hickory is a good choice to start with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! You should definitely do it. Yes, hickory is very good for a beginner. I know the the tiller on some of my bows have not been perfect but I have not had one of the hickory ones break. Now eastern red cedar, that’s a different story. If they have a weak spot, they will explode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s my latest hickory bow. This one is for a friend. It pulls about 45lbs at 28”.
E0D1C4D4-66AB-4255-B901-77110205C829.jpeg
7C1FEF51-F419-4CEA-96B6-F03E263F2BC4.jpeg
5AFB6ECE-0486-4828-BBF1-565D30B7E87B.jpeg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like fine work to me. What's going on with the inlay piece at the shelf? I can't quite make that out and am not familiar enough with self bows to infer what you're doing there. Do you have pics before the grip went on?

P.S. Indeed, welcome!

·
Registered
281 Posts
That bow is very pleasing to look at. I bet it’s fun to shoot. Welcome to the forum.
I’m just curious, how big of a tree did that bow come from? Is it shaped out of a stave that’s 1/4 of a trunk, or something else?
Just collecting info for down the road :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all! The handle is all hickory, so I think what your thinking is an inlay at the shelf is a piece of antler that is glued on to widen the shelf. Is kinda a design I came up with. I cut a shelf in about halfway and glue a piece of antler on to make it the full width I want.
As far as how big of a tree it came from, I don’t remember on this bow. But I generally use staves that are 1/2 to 1/6 of a tree. But 1/4 of a tree is usually the standard.
96722C51-40E3-47E7-A8FC-B6CB8DF1069E.jpeg
04770198-07E4-480D-9B44-68292DCF4093.jpeg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome Hickory. That is a nice self bow you made. I tried my hand at it a long time ago. In fact, I took a one day class from a guy named Keller, can't remember his first name. Still have that Osage bow I made that day and it shoots ok but is just a wall hanger now. I also made a few ash bows too. Still have a couple and traded one off. Keep up the good work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts