Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently decided to get into traditional archery to get good with a bow and hunt. I'm 18 and I used to shoot all the time with a crappy dicks bow but I shot enough I got pretty good with it. This was over 4 years ago so I am a blank slate.
I am 5 11 and did the home method and got my draw length to be 28. I have decided to go with the tradtech apex riser and the black max limbs medium at 30 lbs. So this would get me a bow of 60 inches. Thoughts on this choice?
Also, before I start, any advice or links to ensure I learn proper techniques and form?
How should I draw my bow? I used to do one above one below, is there a best way to do it?
Thanks, lookin forward to alot of fun with archery.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Welcome! I will give ya my little bit info. I think 30lbs is good, less may be better. I shoot split finger with a tab, one over two under. There are multiple variations on "proper" technique, I shoot standing straight up with my bow vertical (as opposed to canted). I also shoot sights and a stabilizer on aluminum risers. So if I were to give you links I would give you this link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/archerytv

and tell you to watch as many matches as you can.

Have an amazing time shooting, don't take the fun away by putting too much pressure on yourself.

Hope this helps,
Kasey

Reactions: 3sizzle8

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Three under is easier to learn and is better for the shorter distances shot with a traditional bow. I do both but do not go to split until 70 meters (77 yards). I have a 20 meter difference between my "point-on" for split and three under. That means that you will be aiming in the grass for most distances if you shoot split finger. One reason that three under is easier to learn is that you do not have to worry about finger pinch on the arrow. It takes relaxed, well positioned fingers to avoid pinch. It used to be that many organizations required longbow shooters to use split finger. Most have now changed to allow either, accommodating the growing number of longbow shooters who prefer to shoot three under. This is a very personal thing. There are many folks that learn one way and cannot switch over. I speak as somebody that does both with equal ease, and use whichever is the best fit for the distance that I am shooting.

As far a shooting vertical, I think that is a good idea if you can do it. Vertical is easier to reproduce than canted. There are, however, situations where you may need to cant to get a shot off. I shoot all my bows vertically. I had a heck of a time shooting my low end Samick longbow consistently straight this way, but the problem went away when I got a better bow. Now I know that any errant arrow is because I made a mistake and not because of an equipment limitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill have to try out the 3 under technique. I shouldn't have a problem shooting vertically, pretty sure that's how I've always shot. And ill be shooting without a tab and sights. Thanks alot for the info so far and cool youtube channel.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Use a tab or glove. You do not want to damage your fingers. You can have nerve issues as well as develop calluses that will affect your release.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Also, practice not shooting. Just find a good stance, grip, hook then J draw and hold at anchor for a few seconds to get a good sight picture then let down. This will train you get the feeling of proper form. You can then start adding in the aiming, expansion, release, followthru. Always reflex on the results.

Look up shot sequence. Start out slow then you can work towards timing. Some will say quick shots are best. I say smooth and deliberate is better.
DDD

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I wish I'd spent more time not shooting in the beginning. Just getting comfortable at full draw with no expectation of firing the shot.

-Grant

Reactions: Mike S and DDD

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I sometimes try playing a game. Draw hold like I said before. But, this time I will aim up, down, right and left of the intended target. Then slowly move back to the spot you want to shoot. At that time shoot the shot or let down. You will find that moving into the target in different ways helps with holding your form. If you intent on hunting or shooting local 3d lilting or panning will require more attention than shoot straight eye level target. Try to get a feel for your natural or work towards a natural form. After several month's work start adding in the aiming part to include distant. But until then keep it 25 yards or less. If your bow and arrow setup is right the margin of error is not that great.
DDD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great tips that will be used for sure. Could anyone throw me a link to a site or video that teaches proper form? Before I go out and shoot all day I wanna make sure Im doin it the right way.
Also any thoughts on the bow choice?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would advise a tab and limbs longer that 60. That's just me. THe next thing to do is get the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera.

You can learn about my first two suggestions, but you'll still use the book in 10 years if you stick with it.

Bowmania

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are tabs what holds the string and has a release? Maybe Ill try one out. In the video nuthatch put up what is he using? Id rather just use my fingers as Im used to that.
Im gonna checkout that book sounds like it would definetly help. I was considering archery classes to get me started.
Edit: more opinions on the bow length? Once again im a 28 draw (estimated) and 5 11 and ill be using the bow to hunt when I can. Deciding between 60 or 62.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Nope, tab is a piece of leather (or something) instead of a glove.
People use a tab OR a glove.
google "archery tab" and you will get a bunch of pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
Welcome to our merry band.

I agree with tabs and three fingers under, and with Jimmy Blackmon's fine videos on You Tube. 30 pound limbs are good to start with, especially for a young man. Your tendons and cartilage are still maturing and are not yet as strong as your muscles and a heavy bow could do you permanent harm.

Another suggestion is to get some blunt tipped arrows and a couple with 'Judo' points. Take them roving in forest and field shooting targets of opportunity. Pine cones and week stems are perfect practice to help you bond with your bow. Don't worry about aiming too much; just look at what you want to hit and 'feel the force.'

Kindly let us know how it goes. - lbg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.