Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to shoot a bit recreationally as a youth, with a compound. I loved the recurves at Boy Scout camp but never had one myself. My rangemaster would let me choose from his selection of beautiful vintage recurves. I loved learning to shoot instinctively, but never got a classic bow myself.

Fast forward 20 years and now I'm 35 with my own children. I have been teaching them with child learner bows and it's now reignited my own desire to shoot. I still have the old Darton compound 55# 28" draw in the garage but want to shoot traditional like I used to really enjoy.

I am looking strongly at the Samick Sage at about 40-45# to start, but am interested in what to look for in a vintage bow (ebay, garage sales, etc.) in case the opportunity presents itself. Advice and recommendations are welcome.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Vintage bows - -
I know enough to suit me, but I'd not know where to start advising, except for beware of limbs that are twisted, make sure they string up straight, that is where it shows up, and not too much "crazing" or damages to the finish, fine lines & cracks are not a good sign. Obvious stuff. Bows without strings sometimes - not always - can be not straight, twisted, it's a bit harder to see twists unstrung.
Strung, string needs to be centered through middle and at the tips.
Hopefully the others will chime in with more useful advice.
Good choice on the Samick Sage, if it's been a long time, lean towards 40# or even 35#, you don't get any extra points for going heavy, and it will hold you back.
I have not had a SAGE, but some of the guys have said the strings that come with are not good, that you need to buy a better aftermarket string. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
Vintage or Sage, I suggest you start with 35 pounds. Better for your form development and your children will be able to pull it soon enough. You could move up then. With their varying stature and strength very many men, women and youths can shoot a good 35 pounder very well.

I favor a good Vintage target model. I have owned a couple of dozen of them and still use my favorites for most of my form and target practice. A nice one can be a lifelong possession. - lbg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It probably would be, it's a Maverick. Magnesium riser from circa 1994. I'm honestly more interested in traditional setups, it's what attracted me to the recurve a in the first place. There's something undeniably beautiful about a piece of wood and a string with lethal power...

·
Bart Harmeling
3,545 Posts
Well I can understand. That's the way I was when I abandoned the wheel bow. Part of the fun with with vintage bows is just seeing what you can come up with. I have a few. A 1968 Bear Grizzly, a Sovereign Golden Knight (which shoots very nice), and a Hoyt TD target bow which buy the way is a metal riser bow. Had a 1963 Bear Kodiak Mag which I gave away. Just couldn't make it work with my DL.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
First, welcome to TT! Next, "Vintage" is a bit individual and (just my opinion) old isn't always the best choice. Your choice of the Sage , IMO, is a good one IMO, both in it's versatility and cost.

Finally, consider tsking a few lessons from a qualified coach or in lieu of that, read as much as we have here on subjects: Bale, Bridge Drill, Wall drill and transition between bale and bridge. All the best.

Tom

·
Registered
959 Posts
Welcome.

35 lb. Sage and 6 arrows matched to your draw length and the bow's draw weight.

Replace the factory string. Lots of archers here make strings.

Budget for an armguard, glove or tab and some type of quiver.

Unless one of Sam Dunham's Black Bear conversions is offered for sale. I have one of his Black Bear risers converted for Samick bolt-down limbs. Great shooter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again, all. I'm a bit of a traditionalist in other endeavors as well. My main hobby is vintage motorcycles, and while I specialize in Triumph my only requirement is that my bikes are older than I am. I like old stuff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After you get back into archery with the Sage and get a feel for what draw weight you want there are TONS of places to find "vintage" wood bows out there. E*** for a start but I think there are better. If you have an open mind there are some really awesome old bows out there just waiting for an archer to come along and let them cast arrows!

Even twisted limbs are no big deal. "Step through" stringing twisted more limbs than anything else, but mostly can be corrected. Old is good. Welcome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.