·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60” 55# at 28 rh whistler came today,
Branch Wood Twig Terrestrial plant Trunk
and I got me a bit of light left.
Set brace to 7.5 nocks set at .375
Grabbed my full length 300 spines with 300 points and flung a few.
This sucker is so freakin quiet.
Locator grip is awesome.
Hits where I aim with a similar gap at 20 to that of the thunderchild.
Super stiff settling into anchor but thatll get better.
Think I need a takedown model now

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Beautiful elegant bow Matt ... love the shape of the grip section

Reactions: Matt flint

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thing is so cool. Shooting right handed is so odd. Going to be a bit til I start puting my tab on the right hand.
Eye doesnt want to take over the shot at all yet. This is the case when I switched lh too. Im positive it will with time.
Alignment indicators are all off. While my bow arm is on point and I can lock it in. My draw side feels foreign. Anchors feel really “soft”. Even my go to under the chin. Again I am sure this will remedy with a few days of shooting.
The grip is magical. This makes me want an x10 now.
Rotates my hand to a 45* without any fuss and lets me lock my wrist low without any perceived need to change nock height. Ill need to prove that out later once I settle in.
Got a new string ordered from ttt
I get string slap right behind my wrist joint. Hoping that remedies that as Ive never experienced string slap with a rotated hand except a couple oddities when figuring out shooting lh. Going to talk to Dan on that later today. Wouldnt be surprised if alignment aint quite right. String blur is on my side of the riser when I reach anchor. Not ever had that shooting lh.
Smoothness is an odd thing to me. Starting on super curves probably destroyed my ability to discern smoothness in a draw cycle. I also am not sure I understand stacking. The thunderchild and whistler both increase tension throughout the draw. I can not pick a difference there and if stacking is what I feel once Ive transfered/shifted and started expansion. I think I like that and both feel equally well.
Post shot feedback is interesting also to me as its stuff Im just learning to pick up on. The thunderchild didnt seem to jump to the degree the whistler does. Im not sure I can attribute that to the bow so much as a stronger/locked in bow arm shooting rh in contrast to an unlocked bow arm lh. The whistler grip feels un forced, low wrist and promotes a loose grip so I have to consciously wrap my pointer or itll jump at the shot.
Though even at 7.5 brace the noise of the shot has no sharp tones, just a thud. That is a wonderful sound.

Ive also reached my lbs limit. While the mid 60s on the fingers is not half as bad as Id anticipated 55 at 28 will be my stopping point. I think 50 at 28 is my sweet spot.
I will see today about my ability to tune rh. It seems as though the arrows Id tuned out of the tc are flying great (32” .300s with 320 total up front) though it is 5lbs lighter and strike plate built out.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Matt ... sounds like you're on a fascinating and enjoyable journey .... go with it and be open to change and you'll be at one with that bow in no time ...... keep us up to speed as to how your journey unfolds

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bare shaft shows slightly weak at full length and 300 grain points. Going to start building out the strike plate as I like this arrow configuration.
Dan talked to me about a cheek bone anchor while discussing grabbing this bow. Gives me a 27 yard point on. I think I am going to set this as my standard/starting point. Puts the arrow right at my eyeball.
something Im finding really interesting is how low of a nocking point I can use. .375 has me perfect. Even with a low locked wrist. Generally need .750 to shoot a low wrist. Must be better timed limbs?

·
Premium Member
12,612 Posts
great looking bow MATT, I think I could get on with one of those.
Phenolic riser, and what woods? if I missed it above, I apologize......
'nuther question, in picture top tip - it appears string loop is farther from actual end of bow than I normally see. is that an illusion?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'nuther question, in picture top tip - it appears string loop is farther from actual end of bow than I normally see. is that an illusion?
No idea on woods. It was a stock bow in specs I could handle so I never asked. Looks like maybe mango? Mostly black in the riser but I also see some grains so Im at a loss on that one too.
Limb tip I think looks funny due to cropping the pic or the angle. Definitely standard ish in person.
Been running back and forth from the hospital last 2 days due to complications with the old ladies mastectomy so I havnt been able to do much more than fling a few arrows and a few bare shafts thus far.
They kicked me out last night. But she is stable now, and bleeding is controlled. So I fix on shooting in the yard til I can pick her up. The hospital is pure chaos from covid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope your wife heals fast and gets back home.

Bow is a real looker! I have a Toelke Whip with the micarta riser, mango limb veneers, and cocobolo accents. Colors look very similar to your Whistler.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope your wife heals fast and gets back home.

Bow is a real looker! I have a Toelke Whip with the micarta riser, mango limb veneers, and cocobolo accents. Colors look very similar to your Whistler.

Thank you. We got her home today and all seems on the up and up.
I think a whip may be my next bow. I feel like I owe it to myself to get into a 66” wood bow.
That there is a great looking bow.
Im thinking an x10 riser whip or an x10 is in my future for sure

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you shooting with an open grip or "holding it like a suitcase handle" Hill style?

I can not shoot any version of a longbow with an open grip. They jump....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If thing go as planned Ill have
If you are close by Id be happy to get together with ya and let you spend some time with it. Im up here in the inland NW. Heck once I got another bow in hand here soon. Id send her to you for a bit.
Tell ya what. I havnt put but 50-100 arrows through it. Just sat down after making the old lady some chow, wondering why my lats are so freakin sore. That extra 5 lbs is working me over. I see those old 70-80 lb bows and I realize our forefathers was a good bit tuffer than myself.
I need to glue a clicker on this thing before I get any real tuning done.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you shooting with an open grip or "holding it like a suitcase handle" Hill style?

I can not shoot any version of a longbow with an open grip. They jump....
Funny story there.
Very first shot. I melted into the grip. Admiring just how freaking perfect it was. Relaxed as all get out. Very 1st arrow, I sent the bow along with it. Ended up with a few scratched right out of the gate. There’s definitely jump there.
I actually think I came to a realization just now after slinging a few arrows. The reason Ive been catching the string slap is due to my relaxed grip. I can put some pressure on my pointer thats wrapped around and no more string slap.
I still address it with knuckles at a 45* and low/ med low wrist.

·
Premium Member
12,612 Posts
Matt, I could shoot it at 55# but not much. Thanks for the generous thoughts, anyway.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Matt, I could shoot it at 55# but not much. Thanks for the generous thoughts, anyway.
Understood, 55# is definitely the heaviest I will ever go again. After a couple nights of shooting it feels much more manageable now. Still though I think 50at 28 is about perfect for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts