Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I am a Compound bow guy but I am looking to pick up a recurve bow for somebody that wants to get into Trad Archery hunting.... I tried to convince him to go for a compound but he's pretty hellbent on a recurve. Been looking at cabela's Fred Bear line but I really don't know what I'm looking at in terms of quality. This is going to be for someone thats never really hunted before and is going to start out with me as a guide going for deer and then later on elk up in Idaho. Where should I start?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You said he never really hunted before, but has he shot a bow before?

How much is he willing to spend?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Spending shouldn't be an issue now days. Buy an ILF bow with two sets of limbs, one for learning and one for hunting. A Carsage (not ILF) can be had for less (?) than 150 bucks. An extra set of limbs would be a little less than 100 bucks.

A little more advise - don't rub shoulders too hard with him.

Bowmania

·
Registered
356 Posts
Get a black bear riser and a set of medium limbs and he will never look back. If you shoot it, you won't either. Very shooter friendly bow.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Fisrt, how is he going to aim? there is an easy way thst is hard - instinctive and there is a hard way that is easy - aiming? for me they are different bows used

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
Almost all of us have gone through several bows learning to shoot then building up to deer hunting weight and then perhaps to elk weight. (50 pounds is enough with moderately heavy arrows.) Many have been pleased with the inexpensive Sage takedowns.

Best is to start very light, maybe 30# but not more than 35# to learn excellent form, then move up 5#, then another 5#, for about $85 a pair. When ready, he could go to heavy Sage limbs or shop for a fine 50-55 pounder for hunting. He could keep the Sage for form and off season practice, and family and friends.

Aluminum shafts are easiest to tune to a variety of bow weights. Many point weights are available and they can be trimmed at home with a simple tubing cutter. Chamfer the inside of the cut with the tang of a file or a pocket knife.

We can help with each step along the way. Get one for yourself. Maybe you could broaden your market as a traditional archery guide. Your client has a good idea. There are too many ways to miss an elk with a rangefinder and a compound. Only a couple with a recurve. Cheers, lbg

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
"Your client has a good idea. There are too many ways to miss an elk with a rangefinder and a compound. Only a couple with a recurve. Cheers, lbg

:)… True enough, but a miss is a miss… Don't believe that one miss is better than another. :):):)

Tom

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Not hunted much and now wants to hunt with a trad bow.....hmmmm....he has a full freezer right now right.

just teezing..kinda.

Just realizing he will have to get alot closer to the game than with a compound too (just saying its a bit easier..well lots easier to get real accurate with a compound sooner than a recurve is all) and not having hunted much then a tree stand is in order.

Getting some good form practice and then taking it to the field.

Then practice in the tree stand is next (just so he can get close).....then seting up some deer targets near the stand would be next so he can get the angles right.

Then patience.....that's the kicker.....a bow you can handle with confidence when you are chilled to the bone maybe.

Should be fun.......make sure you have a video camera for his first hunt...he might just surprise us.

I would say limit the shot to 10-13 yards max......be able to hit that deer target at a few angles and know which are the best places to hit at those angles.

Keep us posted...should be a great journey to follow here...jer

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
In this age of instant information I still find it amazing that those looking to get into traditional archery think our entire world is contained on 2 pages of a Cabelas catalog. There are over 100 custom bowyers, so picking a bow is a personal choice, but you have to start with some basics. Your friend should provide more information on his experience shooting any type of bow, what he plans to hunt and what he thinks is “traditional” if he wants any meaningful help. Does he like the look of an all wood bow, longbow or recurve, or a modern metal riser w/carbon limbs? Sights or shoot “instinctive”?

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
welcome to the forum.
Start him out light, in pounds, 30-35# at his draw length, and graduate up to hunting weights later after he has good form.
Buy a Samick Sage in 30-35# to begin with.
OR, get a 17" to 21" ILF riser and inexpensive WW SF Axiom $79 at Lancaster limbs, in 30-35# at his draw length - caution on math here - get help if you don't know ILF calucaltions for pounds regarding riser length and ILF limbs.
Then after he gets form nailed down with the lighter limbs, through many reps of shooting with help from others on FORM, then buy heavier hunting-weight ILF limbs to go on the riser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts