Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks I am new here but not so new to archery. I used to shoot a trad quite a bit a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I am slowly getting into it again and will be looking at another bow in the future. Thanks for letting me be here and hope I can add something to the group.

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Welcome to our merry band. I will be glad to hear of your progress. - lbg

·
Premium Member
12,617 Posts
welcome to the forum.
tell us what you shot in the past & what you re considering this time.
longbow, recurve, takedown or 1-piece......and pounds & lengths......metal riser or wood, if takedown........
I mostly shoot DAS & ILF 3 piece bows......dabble a little in 1-piece recurves & longbows but currently have zero 1-piece bows.
Forgot warfs, I LIKE WARFS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to shoot a bear Grizzly 50lb recurve. I have considered goin back with the same bow but in 45lb. I am a recurve guy when it
Comes to trad bows. I also shot the bear Montana longbow. I’ve always been a bear guy. I’m open to suggestions. There are so many custom makers nowadays. What’s the hottest recurve these days? I also plan to do some hunting as well as I’m really into deer hunting. Back when I used to shoot I wasn’t all that into it. I’ve always been a bird guy. Now it’s both. Just ask my wife haha

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
If you are a Bear fan your Griz may be all you ever need, except a classic Bear target bow about 35 lbs for the off season and form work. Many of us have such a bow.

Being a bird shooter you could get some flu flu arrows with judo points. It is legal and very challenging to shoot at birds on the ground or water in most states. You can add broadheads with the tip clipped, the blades dulled, and a big notch ground into them. The idea is for the arrow to stay in the bird and not harm the dog. You can work with shotgunners for you to go up first and flush a pheasant. It will rise upward to start; watch which way he turns his head and lead him that way just a touch. You will likely miss, so squat down while the shotgunners wait a bit for him to get out to 20 yards so they will not mangle him. You can also try ducks coming to decoys. Shoot when they flair.

If you hunt deer it may be one and done. But you can hunt birds all season and never exceed your limit. If you don't have a friend with a good pointing dog you will need to obtain and train one, which is a wonderful experience. Compared to a pointing dog most dogs are useless. - lbg

·
Registered
61 Posts
My favorite Bear is the 59 Kodiak. But traditional archery is very personal. It's about the style you like and what works for you. I am new here also. I'm ten years into traditional archery. This year I read the best book on traditional archery, very thoroughly cover's all things archery. Anthony Camera shooting the stick bow. I have learned more from this book this year than all years prior.
Welcome and enjoy 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts