Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm new here. Been a member of AT for a long while and have been shooting compounds for a couple of years and started bow hunting with them. With some marginal success.
I grew up shooting small fiberglass recurve and longbows, split finger and instictive. Recently I've decided to get back into trad bows and am shooting 3 under with a tab that I made. Shooting a beginner take-down Cabela's Warden. [email protected]" I can't get to a full draw with it and have ordered a 40lb longbow from 3 rivers.
That's it I guess. Thanks for reading and letting me join.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Truer words have not been spoken. I struggled greatly starting out because I ignored this. A 30lb bow can zip arrows donwrange with speed and accuracy. They are fun to shoot for longer periods too. I believe a Sage limb would fit on that Warden bow. If it's the 62" model extra limbs are plentiful and cheap too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome. Lots of great guys around here with a vast knowledge of archery.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Truer words have not been spoken. I struggled greatly starting out because I ignored this. A 30lb bow can zip arrows donwrange with speed and accuracy. They are fun to shoot for longer periods too. I believe a Sage limb would fit on that Warden bow. If it's the 62" model extra limbs are plentiful and cheap too.
I fully agree with the 30lb suggestion and it has worked great when I started three years ago.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome. Along the line of what Bowmania and Redfin said your probably best served by having a cheap 30 lb bow at the beginning so you start with good form and not bad habits - being able to dominate the bow is the best way to learn. But the 45# bow is good because you can do a few shot with it to help build strength even when your learning with a lighter bow.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome!

One way of thinking about it:

Your form bow is light, really light, for learning form. Your heavier bow (your 40lb, but usually 5lb heavier than form bow) is your goal bow, to work up to. You work up not by shooting it, but pulling every night with a goal to be able to hold at anchor for 30sec minimum no shakes. Then you are ready to start shooting it.

Some folk shoot their goal bow, many ways to the same place. From personal exp it's best to not shoot bows you are not strong enough to, as it can bake in bad form that takes much time to retrain out later. You can also injure yourself.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi all!
I'm new here. Been a member of AT for a long while and have been shooting compounds for a couple of years and started bow hunting with them. With some marginal success.
I grew up shooting small fiberglass recurve and longbows, split finger and instictive. Recently I've decided to get back into trad bows and am shooting 3 under with a tab that I made. Shooting a beginner take-down Cabela's Warden. [email protected]" I can't get to a full draw with it and have ordered a 40lb longbow from 3 rivers.
That's it I guess. Thanks for reading and letting me join.
If you cant get 45 to full draw, 40 lbs will not be a big enough drop. More like 30lbs will be better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome from another newbie to Tradtalk! Best thing you can do is start light, build solid form and a shooting system that works, then build up in bow weight. Starting out heavy just breeds bad form habits that are long lasting and hard to get rid of

1 - 15 of 15 Posts