Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats goin on guys? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Names Tim, been flingin arrows for about a year. Just wanted to know if there are any Veterans on here? I served 2008-2012, Afghanistan 09-10, was wounded, US Army, 11B (Infantry). I will NEVER demand thanks or recognition; I volunteered and that's that. For any of you who do not support the military, that's fine by me for that is your opinion and freedom to exercise. I find shooting a bow very therapeutic for both my mind and my injuries. Anyone else care to introduce themselves?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome Brother!
I spent some time in the green machine, 2000-2006. I did two tours to Iraq, 2003 and 2005 (volunteered because I failed to assimilate back to the real world) . I too was wounded, I was hit by an IED at the end of my second go around. I bought my first bow at the end of my first tour, which was a decade ago! I have to agree shooting bows is amazing therapy! I am working on a degree in occupational therapy and will integrate archery and art into as many clients lives as I can!

I don't think you will meet anyone around here that will have an unsupportive attitude towards soldiers around here.

Have a great day!
Kasey

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
A great many of us are veterans. Most sportsmen, in the old sense of 'sport' meaning hunting and fishing, and were willing to answer duty's call in time of need.

But for some good fortune the Japanese might have caught me at Manila in January of 1942. But I was just a babe in arms. My own service was naval, Viet Nam in the sixties.

You can still meet the best, the bravest and the most honorable at sportmen's clubs, whatever their weapons of choice. You are in good company hereabouts. - lbg

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
2004-present Royal Canadian Navy.

Most of my operational time spent either gathering ACINT, disrupting piracy or looking for drugs. Nothing too exciting.

-Grant

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Brother!
I spent some time in the green machine, 2000-2006. I did two tours to Iraq, 2003 and 2005 (volunteered because I failed to assimilate back to the real world) . I too was wounded, I was hit by an IED at the end of my second go around. I bought my first bow at the end of my first tour, which was a decade ago! I have to agree shooting bows is amazing therapy! I am working on a degree in occupational therapy and will integrate archery and art into as many clients lives as I can!

I don't think you will meet anyone around here that will have an unsupportive attitude towards soldiers around here.

Have a great day!
Kasey
Right on my man! thanks for your service brother. funny, I call it the "real world" too haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2004-present Royal Canadian Navy.

Most of my operational time spent either gathering ACINT, disrupting piracy or looking for drugs. Nothing too exciting.

-Grant
Disrupting piracy and taking down drug smugglers isn't exciting?! that's awesome! thanks for your service

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Redbow

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A great many of us are veterans. Most sportsmen, in the old sense of 'sport' meaning hunting and fishing, and were willing to answer duty's call in time of need.

But for some good fortune the Japanese might have caught me at Manila in January of 1942. But I was just a babe in arms. My own service was naval, Viet Nam in the sixties.

You can still meet the best, the bravest and the most honorable at sportmen's clubs, whatever their weapons of choice. You are in good company hereabouts. - lbg
Thanks for your service longbowguy!! youre incredibly helpful AND youre a vet?! I just found my go-to guy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
87-90 Army Guard as a medic, 90-91 Army Combat Engineer, and 96-present Navy as a Aviation Electrician. All in all, it's been a heck of a ride, soon to be over, since I'll be retired this fall. Came back to archery 5 years ago or so, and have found it to be a theraputic release from the stress of work. One of these days, I might even get good.

Reactions: Tom M

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
87-90 Army Guard as a medic, 90-91 Army Combat Engineer, and 96-present Navy as a Aviation Electrician. All in all, it's been a heck of a ride, soon to be over, since I'll be retired this fall. Came back to archery 5 years ago or so, and have found it to be a theraputic release from the stress of work. One of these days, I might even get good.
Thanks for your service boss! Yeah, I'll agree with you on that, it was one hell of a ride

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Disrupting piracy and taking down drug smugglers isn't exciting?! that's awesome! thanks for your service
Months of boredom, hours of excitement. Not exactly like having to be constantly vigilant. That and we take our air conditioning with us.

Still, not many people can say they've held 70lbs of pure cocaine. That was a unique experience.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1970-1977: USAF, missile systems analyst, Strategic Air Command
1980-1993: USMC, anti-air warfare officer, air defense control officer
Desert Shield, Desert Storm. Medically retired.

I bought my first hunting bow in a PX in 1971, (a 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter), and have loved the sport of archery, and bowhunting, ever since!

·
Registered
174 Posts
USAR 1980 - 1988 started out in supply and transport as a 64C (truck driver) ended as a line platoon leader in a Combat Engineer Company. Thanks to all of my brothers in arms past and present for you service and sacrifice. Archery can be a great stress reliever most days, except on those days that I can't hit the broad side of a barn.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts