Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered my new Border Covert Hunter last November when Sid was finishing up the R&D... It arrived a couple days ago and man what a beauty she is! 53lbs at 28" she can flat out launch an arrow... I strung her up and shot a few arrows but ran out of time so over the weekend, I got to know her real good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I set up my tandem chrono's, this 53lb at 28" is Shooting a 540gr arrow, 204 fps. My hunting weight arrow is 585gr and measures 193fps. This is a medium grip bow. It fits my hand better than any bow to date. The short sight window is not a factor, I have been shooting Borders for 3 years and don't have any trouble seeing my target in my sight picture. I use a bear weather rest to get great flight. I shoot black eagle 250 shafts with 225gr field tips. The bow comes with sleeves for each limb and the riser. Also, a bow stringer is included. I ordered knurled limb bolts so I don't have to have an Allan wrench to assemble/disassemble it. I ordered quiver inserts cuz I like my arrows in a bow quiver. This bow is 56" braced, but has an AMO of 62". It is very maneuverable for blind and tree stand hunting. I note it is the smoothest border bow I've shot. This is astounding since I thought they couldn't get any smoother! There is a pronounced feeling of let off at full draw which makes holding full draw easier than the usual recurve that stacks. The extreme limb tip curve is more pronounced on these hex 7 limbs then on the hex 6 BB2's. Wish I could post a side by side pic for comparison. This is my new go to bow... I will order a second one for my back up and sell my 4 Borders that are the previous models. I know they are full up with orders but this bow is worth the wait. The $1,800 is not over priced, it is the best bolt down on the market.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit, I'm biased, LOL! Seriously though, I have owned 74 bows, not a single one will touch the cast of this Border Covert Hunter. I set out to find the flattest shooting bow I could find cuz I want to shoot sheep, and realize long distance shots are very much a probability. Not an option to shoot a light arrow when you are hunting bigger game so the challenge is, what bow design will launch a heavy arrow (mass) the fastest ( velocity) .... And I'm not interested in Kinetic energy ( 1/2 mass x velocity). I'm concerned with Penetration and that comes from maximum momentum. Dave Sigurslid wrote an excellent article summarizing Ashby's findings that appeared in the April/May 2007 issue of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine, page 50. www.tradgang.com/ashby The key is achieving the threshold of momentum that is adaquate to penetrate sufficiently and do so, at a longer shot distances. Who wants to have their hunt come down to a once in a lifetime shot, only to walk off the mountain with no animal recovered or no shot taken cuz you were unprepared to confidently take the shot? Not me!

·
Registered
649 Posts
More than 10gpp and still going 204fps! I like it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Congratulations on your new CH. Looking forward to hearing more as you get to used to it.

Rasyad

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Funny you mention the grip. I tried to get a TCS riser with a grip like this, so this new deflexed design being even more stressed shows it was possible. I'd still have the riser if not for the bulky grip, it was a looker for sure.

Is that right, $1800? Ouch. How much more is that in FPS over a Hex 6?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I spent $1100 an a widow a decade ago (and where is the value of the USD today), maybe its just inflation. I am sure that the money is a turn off for some, just like the price tag of a luxury car. I don't need it, but I want it.

Have a great day,
Kasey

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.