Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AMF Wing "Frank Ketchum" 4 wheeler riser with Tradtech Blackmax shorts in 50#. Ended up making a 60" rig.

Used the factory limb pivots, but yanked the outboard roll pins they pivoted on.
Slapped dowel pins in the pivots and they're held by the adjustment bolt in the back (might epoxy the inserts in, dunno yet).

Dowel pin center was right at edge of the 2nd limb bolt, so I drilled the original hole bigger and filled with epoxy, then drilled new ones (at the right spot too).

Carp rig, maybe 3D..............dunno yet. The grip is dang sweet, and why I bought that old clunker for conversion.
Had to buy all new paint, stripper........and a string, so am right at $200 (with new limbs). Not too shabby.

Paint needs to cure a bit more before I start shooting it, but was good enough for a photo op. Cork pads under limbs, just like I used on my Dorado.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
"Beater"? That is one sexy looking riser.

-Grant

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I thought it had potential.
Whispers on the string, I plucked it just to see what would clink/clunk/clank.
Nuthin'...........very dull thud. I mean this pig might be one of the more quiet bows I've had.
Pleasant surprise.

Now the orig stab bushing is 5/16-18. And it's close to the grip. So that kinda works out, just gotta make an offset bracket about 1.25" or so long, to mount my K tech 3" a little lower. I tried heat and mech and the stab bushing wouldn't budge. Could have tried more oomph but didn't want to booger things up, and it rides a little high at that location anyway, so offset bracket it is!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bolted up now, it is usable..........but I noticed a little bit of offset on the string (lower limb). Very slight but it irked me, made me think I machine something a little off.

So I swapped the inserts, still lower limb. I played with both inserts, in both positions (as there is some adjustment). Nope, problem is at lower limb.

Maybe there's riser twist?

So I swapped limb positions and the offset followed. So it's definitely the lower limb (proper name, not by position LOL).

Yeah they're cheapy Black Max, but the last two sets I had were fine (Pinnacle 2 and Dorado). Kinda annoyed that this one is off a bit. Will check it in detail later.

Maybe a slight sanding of the limb tip grooves will correct it.....if that's where the prob is.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I had a Cartel/Sage for bowfishing last yr, hated the riser flex.
This is much better, but of course cost a little more too.

Still, I think a Hoyt Dorado with a better grip would be just about perfect for carp.
But that's way more $.

This Frankencurve is 60" and I'd really like a metal riser rig, 50# and 56" for carp. That gets me into way more silly pricing!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been shooting the Frankencurve.
Not bad.
I'd like it a little shorter and more # though.
For me, as is, it's a mediocre carp slayer..........just too long for my tastes at 60".
Might do a 3d round with a bud next weekend, dunno.

Torn between a Morrison 15" riser and carbons or a new BW PCH.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am sold on the BW standard grip, nothing else feels as good to me.
Playing with other bows has proven to be a waste of time and money.
Slow learner, but think I might be "there" now.

Put that bowfishin' rig up at my LGS. Buddy proly buy my AMS (never liked those either).

Bowfishing is fun, but I might be done with the sport. Just don't have the time or inclination to get all burnt/bug bitten and slimy anymore.

Heck, I don't even like summer.............too hot and green for my tastes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.