Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it guys! Getting a Bear Montana longbow in 50#. As some of you may remember, I was the guy who had his 2014 Grizzly start to de-laminate. Well, I contacted Bear since it was under warranty, and decided instead of getting another Grizzly, I wanted to get a Montana; to try out the world of longbows. The Grizzly was cool ,but I want to get even more traditional. It wasn't a problem for Bear since theyre both the exact same msrp. So, my question is, what should I expect to be different performance-wise and just shooting in general? Thanks guys

p.s.- Im excited I can finally use D97:highfive:

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Pete that was funny.

11B that's great news. Good to hear positive about an archery company's.
I have to agree with Pete 100%
Now some dyna puffs from Rasyad and your set if you need them.

Chad

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Get a new string. The montana is an easy bow to shoot well. Its not fast but fun to shoot
X2. That was my first longbow and it shot very well. I kept the factory string, didn't have any issues with it personally. I took my first trad deer with it, actually my only trad deer. Lol congrats on the Montana, post up some pics when you get it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have one I bought in 99. I reworked the grip and the limb tips. The was like grabbing a 4/4 and the tips were big enough to use the bow as a walking stick or a spear. The design has been refined and I know a couple of archers besides myself that like the bow. Mine is also 50# at 28in. I use 35/55 Goldtips with 125 grain tips.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on, thanks everyone!! I have an order placed with tammy jo for a 14 strand D97. Ive heard some good things but more bad things about the factory string. How did you guys take the grip off (if you did)?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy used acetone but he warned me to not let it sit for more than a few seconds while getting the goo off. I might try that or some good old rubbing alcohol (if I don't like the grip).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ken that looks super comfy!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
It worked well, but not long after the grip split(soft rubber) from the pointed edge of the epoxy. I ended up making my dad a good deal on that bow, he can pick it up anytime and hit what he is looking at easily with it. You will enjoy the Montana, its a great bow in its price range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.