Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am new to archery in general and have just started shooting my new Bear Montana 50 lb @ 28". I have a 29" draw length. I was advise to start with a compound but Traditional archery just seemed to appeal to me more.

I am shooting Benman(?) carbon arrows 400 weight with 100 grain field points. Not sure how heavy the insert is. When I bought the bow the guy installed a brass nock point (I asked for it to sit above the arrow nock) and the arrow sits level when nocked.

I have been shooting at 5 yards and when I do my part seem to get good groups (3 arrows within 4-5 inches) for a beginner. Sometimes I can stack one right next to the previous shot. No robin hoods yet... but did chip one shaft.

Questions:
Is the nock point in the right place for longer ranges?
Brace height is at 8 1/4" from deepest part of the riser - if I adjust this will I need to change the nock point?
Is changing the nock point an issue?
To adjust brace height, do I twist both ends of the string (opposite directions I assume) equally?
Do I worry about any of this and just keep on shooting and focus on form?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I do not live near a traditional archery shop or club.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the input and advice. I'll keep shooting and focus on form as suggested before messing around too much with the bow and do a little more research . I did buy at a "BOX" store against my better judgement but also wanted something I can eventually hunt with when my skills develop enough.

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.