Trad Talk Forums banner

Need help selecting Border Bow

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Sid 
#1 ·
So after many emails with different bowyers, decided on going with Borders hex6 limbs and one of their risers. This is my first big bow purchase and want to get a nice one, but have NO idea what all the options mean as far as woods, inlays etc...... SOOO for those of you who have border limbs and risers can you post pics of your beauties and describe what is what as far as woods are concerned? I like darker wood colors, and not sure what color options are available with limbs, so interested in limb pics too. Thanks!!! Hopefully can finalize my options list to get my build started soon, but a bit overwhelming to drop a grand plus and not now what your bow is going to look like. Hopefully this will give me a clue as to which wood options I want. Thanks!!

#3 ·
our dark woods...

Cocobolo
Indonesian Rosewood
Heritage Midnight.

thats your easy info...
If you dont mind, I can try and approx work out what id suggest for you, and the guys can help you with the options i can suggest...

What kind of shooting do you aim to do?
Whats your draw length?

If we go though this process then we can miss out some fo the confusing rules we have, or aim right at them if they are applicable...

but as for the limbs... well our limbs are 100% carbon laminated, with a selection of cores...
this means you dont get any fancy vaneers, since we cant hide them under clear glass. Carbon is black, so we are kind of stuck with that problem.

but we have a range of options that can suit most people.

so, with the qeustions answered above, we can proceed to more funky questions like Takedown or One Peice?
if Takedown, Bolted or ILF?

#4 ·
Thanks SID, I already sent you email (gperoldo@mhs.net) Just trying to get ideas. Like I mentioned 3D and hunting bow, ILF 42-45lbs at 27 which would give me some weight to play with down to 40lbs and max out at 45lbs. Want to shoot about 38lbs for 3D and 43-45 for hunting. Not sure if it is possible with one set of limbs, but 10% adjustment is about 4 lbs so figure I can shoot 38-39lbs and 43-44lbs. Take down ILF

Thanks Jer, some nice pics and ideas in that thread. I like the midnight heritage and maybe an indian rosewood middle?

#10 ·
You've got good taste, but if you want it reinforced, just in case, PM Buejeger cause he's got the best pictures of the most beautiful Midnight Heritage risers you can get:).. The Midnight Heritage is the heaviest wood, which will probably suit your poundage too.........

#17 ·
Ah, confused by the Sid double act.

Im Sid Jnr. My dad is Sid Snr.

I can answer alot of things, and my dad (email) can answer the rest.

Email Him and you will get a full explanation.

but in short our Hex6 limbs do not contain any cross weave carbon and in doing so, they just look like black glass. (not that exciting)

but in speaking to him via email you can get better answers.

The next question that I have, is do you have any wishes in terms of riser length, what kind of bow length do you aspire to shoot, and what limitations are you willing to accept.
Long risers make long bows, and you cant make them shorter for a different purpose.
Same as short bows, wont shoot vertically quite like a bow with a long window.
Long bows dont allow you to kneel that easily.

So its a case of what do you wish to do with the bow in terms of your shooting style...
Would you feel our of place in your club with a 23" or 25" riser. I know its less of an incentive to be the real different one in a club. the competition doesnt quite seem the same.
but to have a similar bow helps add a bit of chase to the shoot...
Its a complex one, but it kind of helps fit the bow to what your looking for?

#18 ·
Was thinking 21inch, overall bow length 60 to 62 inches. Shooting 62 right now. For the limbs I just want the fronts plain black, I saw a pic that looked like they was carbon front. I just prefer logo on backs of limbs, and fronts plain as the deer down here can read wood grain, black as long as plain solid color

#21 ·
yeah, 21" would be a nice bow then.

Now, a subtle little choice then that is not often mentioned is that we have an option of red lines or white.
The accent lines inthe riser. they can be white or red. they accent the Carbon.

Red is more subtle, than the white, but the white does look quite nice too.

So,

So far your looking for a 21" ILF riser with Button and selway quiver inserts, in a combiniation of either Indonesian rosewood, and heritage midnight, (which do you want as the outer woods and which as the inner?)
if you measure your draw length to the button then id opt for short limbs, and if you measure to the back of the bow, the part closest the target, then id opt for extra shorts.

the out standing questions are:
limb core?
wood or sythetic?
right or left handed?

Stabiliser bishing?
little extras like Horn Overlays.

what kind of grip do you like, we offer High meduim or Low, (our meduim is like the average US bows higher grip)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.