Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot on what people use to clean up an old bow and I am more confused now than before. So many different recommendations and directions.

So far I've cleaned it up with some Goof Off and some fine steel wool. That got a lot of the gunk and dirt off. I read that using something like Goof Off is pretty much the same as using a wood cleaning/restoring product, correct? Or should I use the Goof Off and the wood restoring product?

When I removed the old shelf and strike plate and the leather handle, I noticed that the riser had a crack running along it and I also noticed that the wood of the riser underneath the leather handle is not as glossy or varnished as the rest of the bow. Now I've read about waxing the bow after cleaning it. If I were to wax it with a wood waxing product, would this restore the handle to look similar to the rest of the bow?

I'm hoping I don't have to sand and reseal the bow with any kind of acrylic spray or varnish.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
For what it's worth... I used "Goo-Be- Gone," A similar product followed by "Burch wood Casey" gunstock wax. However I didn't have a crack in the riser I suggest that you either fill/seal the crack with either a superglue or a wood filler and then seal with a super glue.
Then polish with a good wood wax such as mentioned above or Johnson's floor wax in the bright yellow can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of using a couple of the "Howard" products.

The Restor-A-Finish, http://amzn.com/B007SO27KW

and the Feed-N-Wax on my Kodiak recurve. http://amzn.com/B001BKQYGW

I want to use the Restor-A-Finish since it doesn't require any sanding, but I'm a little hesitant since it's supposed to have a stain and my Bear Kodiak has different colors on it, especially the orange belly. Perhaps I'll go with the neutral version?

Anyone have thoughts on these products for use on a bow?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts