Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been fighting my TP for many years.
I did some “desesiblation” (is it the word?) last month, by drawing-aiming and letting down.
Then start shooting at 7 meters on a reduced Indoor target until feel confidence then move farther. I’m now at 16 meters.
I shot by a combination of stringwalking and gap, that is, I set my crawl so arrows hit yellow wile aiming just below the target. My trigger still is the target image with the correct gap. My problem is that I do this totally subconscious. I do not know how it happens. Sometimes image looks out but arrow hits center. I’m doing pretty well about, 240 points (300 max) at 16 meters. I can get close to 250 but the problem is that when I try to aim, arrow go up and left.
What to do?
Keep training this way o get back closer and restart “the bridge” aiming for some seconds?
Hope I could explain it in an understandable way.
Thanks
Martin

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I did all the normal exercises with a light bow. The advantage of a light bow is that when the bow starts to go off, you can catch it and pull it back. My arm would start twitching on its own. I would pull it back. It would twitch again. I would keep pulling it back until I had control. Then I would shoot. I bridge to heavier weight, just like you bridge to longer distances. As soon as I shoot my state field in two weeks, I am going to go back to my recurve and light limbs for some refresher work. I am having some trouble elevating to the spot. I have been working through it with my longbow, but I know that I will make better progress with my light bow, like last summer. My steps are 30.5 pounds, 35.5 pounds, 40.5 pounds.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Martin, admittedly I've been coached a particular way (Len Cardinale), but you mentioned the "bridge" which is his "invention".... And the problem IMO is that most archers read about it, think they know it...and for the most part use it improperly. A few thoughts/concepts...

1. The bridge drill is always used in conjunction with the bale.
2. The bale is never used as a "close in" target.
3. The bale is used to work out consistency for the archer so that a final "shot" can be reenforced into the subconscious mind..
4. The bridge drill is shot at first very close (4-5yds) at first. The size of the aiming point should be sufficiently large so as to not cause any anxiety. A specific number of braces of arrows are determined, and shot by the archer, say 10 braces of 5 arrows 2X/week, starting at 4yds. When this is accomplished with perfection (meaning each and every single arrow was executed exactly as it is/has been on the bale...then one can move back a couple yards.
5. Should ANY single arrow be executed as a "less than" (the bale shot), the archer returns to the bale...stops the bridge, and when he returns to the bridge does so at the last closest yardage.

Does this take time? Yes, Absolutely! It may take over a year to get to the "place" where an archer can know and execute his shot with confidence, not just close up but at extended yardage....But it's well worth it, All the best.

Tom

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Hank, The purpose of the bale is to work on one's shot (any part of or the whole ) WITHOUT THE PRESSURE OF THE TARGET. The archer is then totally free to immerse himself in the exploration of say, expansion/follow thou to conclusion, or any other part he wants to "investigate" for the ultimate purpose of improvement of consistency and engraining into the subconscious.

In short, putting a "target" on a bale is defeating it's purpose.

Ultimately the "shot on the bale" is compared to the one "on target" and THEN any discrepancies are duly noted and taken back to the bale for correction... Hope that helps. All the best!

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts