Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a valid and current source for compressed, and possibly tapered, cedar arrow shafts?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have not seen them advertised in any magazines or on any websites for quite some time. Have you tried a web search?
The last time I saw compressed shafts for sale was back in the '90's' by an outfit in Alaska. The old Sweetland shaft machinery seems to have disappeared. May be somebody making compressed shafts by forcing them through compression block. Not the same as the old Sweetland shafts.
Those that have the Sweetland shafts are usually not in the selling mode, I tried.
I was told something about cold, dead, hands before he would give up any.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't find anything but was hoping someone had a stash somewhere. I see that ThreeRivers sells the compression block but I have no knowledge of the effectiveness of this tool in making my own.
I just started back again and am using aluminum but my first love is a wood arrow. I guess I am too rigid as I cannot bring myself to shoot carbons from a traditional bow.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sweetland used heat and pressure compress the slabs according to an article I have in an old "Bowhunters Digest" written by CR Learn. The process was a secret in those days ( early 70's ) when the book was published. Besides finding the shafts you need Broadhead adapters because the shafts are not standard size.
Yes, it would be great to refurb the old machinery but I guess the money is not there. Last thing I read was a short chapter in Jack Harrision's book. He knew the folks that had the machinery.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am just surprised that no one is now supplying these. I have to think that I am not the only one who wants to shoot such a shaft.
Tom,
The ones I had before were 23/64" that had been compressed down to 11/32" and then the nock end was a 10" taper down to 5/16". Great flight and very tough!

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
This link won't help with a source for shafts but some might find it interesting and informative.

Mr. Bill Sweetland presents the history and process for Forgewood shafts.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put an email out to Wapiti but they did not respond. I checked with my friend who used to have a shop. He has 5/16" unmarked cedars, 11/32 ash, 11/32 maple, compressed maple, and both sitka and cedars starting at 60# and up. He even has some over 75#. Unfortunately all too stiff for my bow.
If I can find a spine tester locally I will check the 5/16" shafts but I doubt they will make 50-55#.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have about 11 heavy spined Sweetlands if you are interested

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope to borrow a couple later this week. I will probably need either 50-55# or 55-60#
as per Stu Miller's formula.
Sadly I know that aluminum would be best for the compressed layer targets at the club, but I prefer woods for stump shooting. Woods will also likely be a bit heavier. The other guys I shoot with all shoot carbon, but I am in the minority and prefer to not shoot them from a recurve. I was looking at a FMJ as a possibility as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts