Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to find a coach and what level coach should I be looking for if I am shooting barebow and want to improve to the point where I might consider shooting competition field or 3 D in the future? I‘ve been shooting my barebow for about a year. Gillo G 1 25” riser, 34# medium limbs, Beiter plunger, AAE Champion II rest. Nano SST 650 arrows with 125 gr points. Shot longbow intermintently for many years before getting the Gillo.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Level is irrelevant if they don't understand competitive barebow. In most places in the USA you will likely need to look at some sort of distance coaching.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wish someone around here could coach. I've had to learn this stuff 100% my own. I suspect my form is really poor, but how would i know?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Google 'USA Archery coach locator'. Maybe it's 'USA Archery find a coach'. A page will pop up asking questions. Level 4 is about the best you'll find, but threre's only 2 of them shooting Trad. Level3 is good also. They have phone numbers next to their name, so call and interview.

I think the last question you should ask is 'what kind of archery do you shoot?' If the say compound move to the next. By the way, I don't think you'll find too many compounders.

If your in WI pm me.

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
For barebow I'd take a high level compound shooter who uses a thumb trigger over an olympic shooter, the internal process for shooting a thumb trigger well is much closer to barebow.
Also coaches who exclusively shoot olympic do not understand the essential issue with barebow which is the aiming compromise. I've seen it many times where a person who doesn't wish to shoot olympic gets coaches by one and their form is unusable for barebow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could check with local high schools. Seems archery is getting more popular and you may be able to reach out to the coach there for some lessons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try a coach who has experience training barebow archers. Chris Hill is a great coach who knows a fair bit about barebow, and teaches the linear (Korean) approach instead of NTS. For my money, I'd try to learn a method that is easier to teach to newer guys and has proven success at the Olympics.

Some of the NTS/Kisik Lee worship around certain barebow circles baffles me. If it was such a fantastic system, where's the Olympic golds?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Massive +1 to Chris Hill and the linear system in general.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Some of the NTS/Kisik Lee worship around certain barebow circles baffles me. If it was such a fantastic system, where's the Olympic golds?
Jake Kaminski will soon be there to challenge the well known barebow shooters.
PS Interesting to see John Demmer III going for a more OA stance than “whatever puts the arrow in gold” stance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try a coach who has experience training barebow archers. Chris Hill is a great coach who knows a fair bit about barebow, and teaches the linear (Korean) approach instead of NTS. For my money, I'd try to learn a method that is easier to teach to newer guys and has proven success at the Olympics.

Brady Ellison comes to mind

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brady Ellison comes to mind
Brady has never won Olympic gold.

But that's regardless of the fact that someone as naturally talented as he is would win championships with whatever method he chose.

The Koreans use the linear method and trained a tiny country with a minuscule population to be an absolute archery powerhouse. They don't rely on talent. You look at their teams year after year and they have different names. That means they're using a method of archery that can take anyone and make them a winner. You look at the US and we have a million times the population and still get our butts kicked to Mars and back. If the NTS was superior to the linear method that simply wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your own national archery organization did the mess when they introduced a niche system - NTS - in schools, producing Coaches who don't know what they are teaching and so on.
Koreans have uninterrupted archery background and source of inspiration - linear draw is nothing but ancient way of shooting the bow adjusted to the new type of bows. Inside this frame are also the new Coaches personal interpretation and ideas. Some kids in Korea dream to make a living from archery -> archery = job. In the rest of the world, they dream of a medal -> archery = hobby. You can't compare their system with yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts