Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I headed to the goat block again today to have another crack :)

I decided to stick to the dam, as things have dried out significantly in the last month, and I figured it would be a good place to sit and wait.
Now this dam is fenced so I made a little hide in the funnel and settled in. Wind was good, and it was a beautiful day, but no goats.
I spotted a few off in the distance so I put on a stalk but it was pretty open, and in the end I was busted by the swirling wind about 50m out.

It was a pretty frustrating few hours, and I figured the goats had to be watering elsewhere. I jumped in the ute, and headed for home, but as this is a new spot I decided to take the scenic route and have a good look around.
As it turns out there is a gravel pit/dam about 1km east of where I had spent the morning, and you guessed it, there was 10-12 goats just off the bank. Cheeky buggers :)
I saved the waypoint and headed off down the bulldozed fire break in the ute. As I got over a rise I spotted a mob about 800m further on.
It's game time!
I stalked to about 50m and settled behind a bush, and let the mob feed to me. They got to about 25m but took off as the wind shifted but pulled up quickly and continued feeding. I snuck to the next bush, but they were still too far out, the wind was good, so I though bugger it and I slowly walked out towards them. Bizarrely, I got to 25m and I slipped an arrow into the closest nanny. I hit her a little high, but I knew it was in the lungs and she pulled up about 20m from where she was hit. Stoked!

Samick Sage @ 45# with 150gn Tusker Javelins

·
Registered
503 Posts
Excellent story about a great hunt for you. Like the pic too. I enjoy being on an international forum. It takes me awhile to figure out the language, but I enjoy it just the same. For my buddy JonNZ, it took me awhile to figure out what a bonnet was. I was visiting with an attractive young lady from NZ, and she kept referring to a bonnet. I finally asked her what in the world a bonnet was. In the states you wear one on your head. Over there, it's the hood of a vehicle. And my first aussie that had a male mate, I thought well uh, yeah, I guess. Now I have a mate in Ben from down under, and I'm good with that! LOL!

Sometimes it's tough being a dumb hillbilly from the colonies! Laughing here. Morning Phil!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Way to get it done Rooni79!!! Great Hunts and Great story... How are you cooking the Goats? We have a few barbary goats here(open season on them, not in the regs).

(Having had a British GF, from the south of London and the vocabulary of a sailor, and having trained with British soldiers, the language difference isnt much of a problem for me...But it was interesting at times in our local gin-mill(pub) " What do you mean I cant have a *** in here??? Wankers!!! (with the hand motion)... Hehehe)

·
Registered
503 Posts
1shot, on another post from one of friends from England, he bleeped out bloody. Like it was a bl#%dy good day. Hilarious to me! The way I see it, doesn't look like a cuss word to me! I don't believe I wouldn't say wanker or *** in the same sentence though. Really anywhere for that matter! (Laughing here). That's what I like about these forums. Reading the local language from different parts of the world. Wonder if we all think everybody else talks funny? I loved the Crocodile Dundee movies, not so much for the storyline, but just to listen to Paul talk. I had two friends of Scotland too, that I would speak to in person. We would laugh at each other for the way we talked. We kidded each other about being hard to comprehend what we were saying.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Nice Nanny Rooni ... well done mate ... I'm not a hunter myself, but I love to cook and I'd love to get my hands on one of those
The farmed goat we get here in England is pretty tastey ... little bit gamier than Lamb and slow roasts beautifully. How do your wild goats taste?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good on ya' Rooni .

Those goats will camp on the nearest high ground at night ;^) and water twice a day.
Once in the morning and then last thing in the evening before heading back to camp.
Find their travel routes to and from the two and you can set your clock by them.
If you can locate the property on Google earth you might be able to see the tracks they use most,,,,,just a thought aye.
Both goats you've posted pic's of so far are from Nubian/Alpine blood lines.
The coats on both are Nubian and their heads an faces are Alpine.
There should be a couple of old boys pushing 50 inches out there if they haven't been hunted for a few years.
You've got a great place there mate,,,,jealous as 8^)

Good hunting.
John.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Nice work .
A Nanny like that is a slow cook dream ... Veggies, chillies and a leg for a good 3-4 hrs ( I do mine even longer) and then a nice glass of red ....... Mmmmmmmm

Nice work Rooni

And John is right , if they haven't been hunted for a while there would be a few big lads ou there ....

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am greek so I love goat meet..are you hunting public land?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I am greek so I love goat meet..are you hunting public land?
Hey El Greco ... I was in Greece visiting friends about 8 years ago .. we had "Goat cooked in the ground" I think the translation was ....it was absolutley sensational !!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words, I'm less than a year into the sport, so there isn't much I can give back to a place like this, but I keep getting lucky on the goats so I figure I'll share :)

I don't eat the goats to be honest, I take them for meat for the working dogs (kelpies mainly). Being sheep farmers (my family has 5000 acres, my inlaws 4500 acres) there is no shortage of cheap meat around, and the goats stink like you wouldn't believe!

That said, I have a Greek mate that is chomping at the bit to get an eater in the camp oven. Next trip :)

Thanks for the info John, there certainly is some genetic potential in this area. I have seen a big black billy that would be 40+ easy. Who know's what else is out there. There is about 50-60 000 acres of scrub all joined up.
The pic below shows the google earth view. It's pretty flat country, but there are a couple of slight hills that they may be using as bedding areas. The problem is how thick the scrub is!
Dam 1 is the fenced dam, and dam 2 is where they are watering from now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lols, I'll pay that :)

I've just read some of Saxton Pope's adventures and been dreaming of hunting a bear, it must be a rush!
If my wife and I ever get over there to do the canoe trip we have been dreaming about I'll have to look you up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.