Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some information please. If I wanted to shoot at the NAA Indoor Nationals next year with a modern longbow, what are the rules for the bow and arrows? I can't seem to find the information. Thanks in advance.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
You don't wanna be be like Hank and order a bow from the other side of the world only to have the rules change days after his purchase!

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I really feel for you Hank but on the bright side you have a beautiful bow and we can see what you look like in your avatar!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still confused. So would I have any concerns if I showed up at the indoor nationals with my Dalaa and longbow limbs and shot in the modern longbow class? Would I need to use wooden arrows?

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I am still confused. So would I have any concerns if I showed up at the indoor nationals with my Dalaa and longbow limbs and shot in the modern longbow class? Would I need to use wooden arrows?
The actual rules are here: http://www.azjoad.com/main/forms/traditional_bow_rules_2-2007.pdf

For modern longbow, the rules state:

Longbow (Traditional and Modern Longbow)
- is defined as a wood bow without
recurve in the limb tips, (i.e., the string must not rest on the upper or lower limb but
rather must contact the bow only at the string nocks.)
Stabilizers
or counterweights, or bows built up to serve the same function will not
be
allowed.
Protruding bow sights
will not
be allowed. However a
movable band/"O-ring" or
rubber band
on the bow limbs will be permitted as long as this band is no larger than
1/8 inch wide or high. An alternative allowed
sighting method is the moveable
"Point-
of-Aim" on the ground.
This cannot exceed a height of 6" above the ground or be
larger than 3" in diameter.
No cushion plungers
or similar mechanical or metal apparatus shall be used.
However, the side of the bow where the arrow comes in contact with it may be built out
slightly with a
leather pad.
Arrows will be of wood
and fletched with feathers. Points shall be of a type that will
not inflict undue damage to target faces or buttresses. Arrows shall be identical in
length, weight and color, except for normal w
ear. Point weight may be of any value and
is not
restricted to 125 grains.
Finger Protection
in the form of finger stalls or tips, gloves, shooting tab or tape
(plaster) is allowed to draw, hold back and release the string, provided it does not
incorporate any device to help in holding, drawing and releasing the string. (For
example, mechanical releases or hooks are not
permitted.) A separator between the
fingers to prevent pinching the arrow may be used. On the bow hand an ordinary glove,
mitten or similar item, may be worn.

And in addition to these rules:

IBO and NFAA "Modern" Longbow Division Rules:
1. 1.
Longbows
made with fiberglass laminates or other "modern" man-made materials
are
allowed in this division.
Arrow rests
; shelves and center shot cut shelves are
also allowed.

So the bow has to be a wooden bow with no recurve but yes reflex. So, if you're doing a 3 piece takedown, I think you'd have to go with an all-wooden riser.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
I really feel for you Hank but on the bright side you have a beautiful bow and we can see what you look like in your avatar!
My interest is being compliant with international standards. The reason I decided to compete in longbow this year is because I did not like NFAA rules around sightless recurve (I would have said barebow except that is a compound to the NFAA -- go figure). Anyway, I still qualify for the IBO longbow class, which I will shoot in a week and a half, and I am IFAA legal. And it looks like the NFAA may be rescinding part of the change and not allowing 3 piece bows. With all that in mind, I got exactly what I wanted. I am not interested in a hybrid bow. It is a beautiful bow and I really enjoy shooting it. I should be getting my lighter arrows some time next week so I will be able to see how well the bow will perform over the longer, NFAA field courses.

By the way, that is not me in the Avatar. It is my evil twin Gunther.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
From how I read the rules you would not be able to compete in any division.

Longbow (Traditional and Modern Longbow) - is defined as a wood bow without recurve in the limb tips, (i.e., the string must not rest on the upper or lower limb but rather must contact the bow only at the string nocks.)

Traditional Recurve must have a wooden riser and can be either a one piece bow or a take down. No carbon limb composites or foam limbs, just wooden core limbs with glass overlays.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I'm still trying to decide if I can shoot my Hadza bow in the NAA traditional longbow division. It's not an American or English longbow, but it is a wooden self-longbow with no arrow rest or window. I'll have to email the guys who wrote the rules.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
From how I read the rules you would not be able to compete in any division.

Longbow (Traditional and Modern Longbow) - is defined as a wood bow without recurve in the limb tips, (i.e., the string must not rest on the upper or lower limb but rather must contact the bow only at the string nocks.)

Traditional Recurve must have a wooden riser and can be either a one piece bow or a take down. No carbon limb composites or foam limbs, just wooden core limbs with glass overlays.
Who comes up with this stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Who comes up with this stuff???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The liberal version of the political portion of the "i am an archer because I say so" society. They have never done it, never will, but are experts on how, why, and everything else about.

Reactions: Jon Lewis

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Provided he's not shooting at the NAA Traditional championships (do they even have them?) , then he'd be fine in Barebow.

-Grant

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Provided he's not shooting at the NAA Traditional championships (do they even have them?) , then he'd be fine in Barebow.

-Grant
They do. It's called the National Traditional Archery Championships, held every year in August in Lansing, MI at the Demmer Shooting Sports Center on the Michigan State campus. It's a lot of fun. I shot it last year. The round is either a York or a Hereford (depending on gender category) and then an American round and a clout round. It's very 19th/early 20th century. I love that I can shoot the Hereford and compare my score directly with Victorian archers. Super fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They do. It's called the National Traditional Archery Championships, held every year in August in Lansing, MI at the Demmer Shooting Sports Center on the Michigan State campus. It's a lot of fun. I shot it last year. The round is either a York or a Hereford (depending on gender category) and then an American round and a clout round. It's very 19th/early 20th century. I love that I can shoot the Hereford and compare my score directly with Victorian archers. Super fun.
Thank you young lady for posting this.

I was a member of the MSU archery club when I was a student there some 40 years or so ago. I don't remember exactly, but it was the year the students took over the administration building, I believe John Hannah was the president at that time. I remember because while sitting in my dorm room, a tear gas grenade came right through my dorm window. I don't think I have ever moved that fast since!

There used to be some ball fields between Jennison Field House and the Red Cedar River. Our "shooting center" at that time was some straw bales set up at the edge of the Red Cedar and we used to stand in right field of one of those ball fields and shoot towards the river. I'd say there are still some of my arrows at the bottom of the river. Later we had a little roving course in a woodlot that used to surround the field house. The students used to cut through on their way to class. I couldn't imagine allowing something like that now. I left about the time the war ended and have never been back. I haven't thought of that place in many years, thanks for the memories.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
The new shooting sports center is state of the art and very cool. It has great equipment, lessons for target pistol, rifle, and compound and recurve archery, as well as a cute little 3D course. I really wish we had something like that at Madison. Our university has outlawed me even bringing my bow to campus.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Am I understanding the rules correctly? Is the reason Hank's longbow does not qualify is because he has a carbon layer in the limbs?

Alan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts