Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made my wife a bow from a cheap fiberglass bow I found. Bolted the limbs I cut off onto a riser I fashioned.

Tested it at over 29" for many shots, she is drawing at around 23" so it's safe!

Here she is, all 4'10" of her, shooting at around 12m. This is her third day of shooting and she's loving it.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Form looks good, just have her keep her head centred over her body. Let her bring the string to her face while keeping the front shoulder pushed towards the target. Still very good though.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She said her glasses are getting in the way!

Didn't want to offer to much of my limited knowledge to her, thought I'd just let her have fun and slowly offer words of advice.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Tip of forefinger in corner of smile, top of forefinger under cheek bone , thumb at back of jaw. That should reduce the DL and the string contacting the glasses.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I see she's shooting 3 under... That's good! When I shot split finger I had to shoot without my specs When I switched to 3 under that problem went away. Greysides has given good advice.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
NICE, ROD, glad she's having fun with it, it looks like she is shooting well too!!

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
It looks to me as if she is getting about all the draw length her frame will allow. Head drawn back and tilted back. Must be good coaching. A very nice beginning. - lbg

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks to me as if she is getting about all the draw length her frame will allow. Head drawn back and tilted back. Must be good coaching. A very nice beginning. - lbg
Don't know about the good coaching bit! She is shooting better than me when I started, I suppose a few tips early on are a big help.

I had only seen a video clip of a bloke shooting the "instinctive" style, split, with his body and head crouched forward when I started to shoot.

Think she's trying to get the most draw length possible to get those arrows to reach the target! Says she can see the arrow on the top of the paper.

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
Your observations and inclinations were sound. I coach women and youths. The best archers in the world are girls, from Korea. But the limited stature and strength must be accounted for. Getting your wife's sort of extended posture is important to maximize draw length and arrow speed. Arrows should be as light as possible. I suggest the split finger hold for a higher launch angle. All of this to reach out to middle distances without having to hold too far over.

Her anchor is fairly low, which is good to reach out. Because of her small stature the anchor might need to go even lower. If so the arrows could be a bit longer to reach into her peripheral vision.

For men I recommend light draw weights to start. For women and youths I tend in the opposite direction, because of the need to get adequate arrow speed and good flight and to reach the middle distances. With a 23" draw she may be able to handle a 35# bow and work up to 40#, as she will draw it to much less. She may be able to shoot the same bows you do, or a bit heavier, due to her lesser draw length. This could work well. The lady has natural coordination and aptitude. Kindly keep us informed of her progress, and yours. - lbg

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It's always a good thing to have your spouse involved in recreational things you both enjoy! As for coaching, I suggest approaching it gently, so as to not throw a wet rag on her enthusiasm…. When it's appropriate, consider a little talk about an "aiming system" that she would favor and then put to use… It all should be a quality learning experience, enjoyable to you both! All the best!

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.