Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love archery, and compete in Highland Games in the Amateur and Amateur-C divisions. So I'm above novice, but not running with the big boys. I'm 5'11", 215lbs, and 36 years young. I competed in boxing and martial arts (briefly in MMA) from 18 until I was 31.

You may find some good idea out here, or may think it's crap.
My training philosophy is this:
  1. Stability
  2. Mobility
  3. Endurance
  4. Strength

It takes all 4 of these qualities to be a successful athlete, or to generally be a fully capable person. And training in this fashion will ensure long term success with limited injuries or setbacks.

I hope some of you find this useful.

http://munozfitness.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
MMAdrian – I took a look at your blog and left a comment (though it didn’t seem to get saved). I appreciate the effort you’ve put out to help many of us get in better physical condition to enjoy our sport. Bottom line – I’d love to take advantage of the exercises you recommend, but as one who is not familiar with workout-specific expressions, I couldn’t understand much of what you were describing… ‘plank’, ‘light/ultra intense protocol’, etc… regrettably, I have no clue what those things mean... my deficit, not yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. I use a lot of shorthand to capture my own workout results. I'll write something in plain English tonight and post a link to it here.

Thanks for taking a look at my blog, and for the honest reply.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
I like your approach. Thank you. Shall follow the blog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MMAdrian - Great blog.

I also would like to see descriptions of the exercises you use - I sure wish you had the capability of graphics. I know quite a few of them because I follow P90and Craig Ballantyne's turbulence training.

I see you have an archive - does one of your blogs describe the exercises?

Here's some I don't know:

- OHP
- Windshield Wipers
- Skull Crushers
- Wood Chopper (I have seen several versions)
- Zottman Curl
- X-body dumbell extension
- Russian Twist

Thanks for sharing. Your blog puts some meaning to a workout program. I have certainly learned the value of total body exercises for archery; but mostly for life.

After years of trying to control my weight with cardio, I discovered total body resistance exercises at age 50, and along with eliminating bread, potatoes, rice, and beer during the week, the pounds started falling off.

Too bad for the elk! One of em's gonna get an arrow this fall . . . . .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pistols are the single most difficult leg exercise I've ever done! They are essentially single leg squats, but done with 100% range of motion, and the free leg is held out in front of you the entire time. This youtube clip shows it exactly:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife and I will be playing with the HD camcorder this weekend. I'll get some good stuff posted this week. I have to get proficient with it before my son's first skateboard competition, and my first Highland Games competition since my hernia surgery. :)

And I forgot to mention, here is the decoder key for my blog shorthand. :(

OHP = overhead press. sometimes called military press. I always do these standing, keeping a tight "braced" core.

X-body hammer curl = X is short for cross, so cross-body hammer curl.

X-body lying extension = A tricep extension done while lying on a bench. grab a dumbbell with one arm. Point your arm straight up,and slowly bend at the elbow, bringing your hand and the dumbbell across your body to the opposite shoulder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts