Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played with using the arrow as a point rather than instinctive. The string is now working hard against my nose. LOL, I got blood on most my arrow nocks now. Do I keep on till it grinds down? LOL. Question; would a bigger or shorter bow help with this? I presently shoot a 60 inch bow. I anchor in the corner of my mouth with my pointer finger

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
You may find that you need to rotate your head a little more square to the target.
Do you shoot upright or with a cant?

I went through this problem when I tried to shoot with my head perfectly upright. A tilt of the head and aligning the stringblur pretty much right down the arrow has completely solved the problem.

-Grant

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rod Jenkins has that same issue. In Masters of the Barebow 3 he explains the tape on his nose.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Brass nocks for me = blood splatter on my riser. Even tie on nocks if the melted portion is on my nose side. I touch my nose to the shaft, so I'm kinda asking for issues.

·
markliep
687 Posts
I think this is nose-dependent solution - I use a two part anchor with the front same as yours to get the nock under my eye & the back with my thumb nail flat under& against the angle of my jaw - when I had my thumb last knuckle at the base of my ear (further out from my nose) I got nose slap ... Might be worth trying - if nothing else I found that getting my rear anchor where it now is made for an smoother release/expansion with less string plucking - M

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use to use tie on nocks...and they move....I now use brass and the sharp side will always find my nose and it bleeds...now I use brass top and bottom and cover them with shrink tubing...top and bottom works great...however keep it tight to the top nock because of some of the rules....

Dewayne

Reactions: Matt_Potter

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
This is how I made my custom nose guards. I could not get tape to stay on no matter what I tried (oily skin I suppose). I eventually refined the process to include just aluminum foil, pipe cleaners for reinforcement, and duct tape. I can make one in about 15 minutes from my nose casting. I have now modified my form to the point where I do not need them any longer, though I did break the skin this past weekend.

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37361

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Rod Jenkins has that same issue. In Masters of the Barebow 3 he explains the tape on his nose.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Rod just has a big HONKING nose.

Play with your head position - I only hit mine if I over expand and start turning my head into the shot. I do however have some nice scars from it LOL

Matt

·
Registered
996 Posts
I seem to only hit mine when my arrow tune is too weak, and I turn my head into the shot during the draw. If I wait until I hit anchor, then tilt/turn the head, and have a good arrow tune then my nose is fine.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It comes and goes for me now but it use to be pretty constant. I've been attributing the lack of blood loss to better form!

·
Registered
16 Posts
:sbrug::Would happen to me when shooting a tab, but never with a glove! As Grantmac suggested," squaring your head more toward the target "worked for me.

·
赛
614 Posts
There just ain't no style to tape or homebrew rigs . . .

Go Pro and intimidate the bejeezus out of the competition:

Europe -

U.S.A. -

:cool:

More seriously, for me a whack on the nose almost always means that I'm hunching my shoulders; a very bad habit of mine especially when tired.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I use to use tie on nocks...and they move....I now use brass and the sharp side will always find my nose and it bleeds...now I use brass top and bottom and cover them with shrink tubing...top and bottom works great...however keep it tight to the top nock because of some of the rules....

Dewayne
==============

Hello
Maybe a eliminating rubber button [ Later

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong that I dont hit my nose lol. I know my form has to be lacking and some of you are known to be recognized excellent shots :cheers:

Reminds me of the scene from Billy Madison..."You ain't cool unless you pee your pants" lol

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
I tried letting my nose grind down. Didn't work. The scabs and scar tissue made it thicker. Playing with brace height can help, and changing tabs, and neck angle, and point weight. Brass nock sets are the worst. The problem has come and gone a couple of times. I am never sure why. I carry bandaids in my quiver; enough to share. - lbg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts