Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove up to STEVE JEWETT‘s place this morning get a grip custom shaped to my bow hand...

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome waiting to see chronograph results, I myself love the asiatic/horsebow style bows.
I’m not entertaining any expectations of the Scythian exhibiting stellar performance numbers (especially as compared to some of the SR type bows out there) where the focus was placed on shoot-ability and resulted in an extremely quiet shooting model of bow...I joked with Steve that as compared to his Longcurve and now his new static SR ”Xiphos” model my Scythian is slow but considering the string doesn’t contact the limb?...with wood arrows it qualifies as a longbow in certain circles where there?... it’s a speed demon. ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
How's the hand shock? Looks like a thumper.
giegs -

The overall configuration of the classic Scythian bow is designed to be almost recoilless . . . on purpose . . .

regards,

John

Reactions: Jinkster

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't know Scythian bow designs involved an arrow shelf ...;)
The overall configuration of the classic Scythian bow is designed to be almost recoilless . . . on purpose . . .
In my experience, the less mass at the limbs - and especially at the tips (syahs), the less handshock. I have a Hungarian and a Mongolian bow making me feel that every time I shoot them.
Not sure what the more massive riser section will do in this regard.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
OH my word Bill that bow looks beautiful !!!! .... Steve is an exceptionally talented bowyer
Realy looking forward to reading your comments once the bow is finished

Reactions: Jinkster

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like the looks,is that a micarta riser?
The riser is solid black G10 and sports a Tiger Myrtle grip cap and will have CF Scales on the belly side above and below the grip which will cover the lead weight loading of the G10 riser.

this one’s going to be all about comfort and shoot ability. :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
After much searching I finally found this . . . my favorite passage on the static tip . . .

Originally posted by John Havard:
Mike asked me to chime in on this thread because to a fault I rarely check online. Regarding the question of “why a static tip”: a static tip on a recurve is essentially a siyah used on bow limbs for over a thousand years. A siyah (or static tip) is a lever arm that influences how the recurve limb is stressed.

A traditional bow limb, be it either longbow or recurve, is nothing more than a simple spring. However, the amount of energy stored by that simple spring is a function of its design. How and where it bends along with the overall geometry of the limb and the riser have a marked effect on how much energy per pound of draw it stores - energy storage efficiency or SE/PDF.

There are any number of ways to design a spring/limb. A static tip isn’t the only way to do it. Other companies use working limb tips on their recurves and longbows to varying degrees of SE/PDF.

The “feel” of the limb as it’s drawn is to some degree subjective and to some degree capable of being objectively measured via a Force/Draw curve. A lever arm/static tip reduces the string angle on the fingers as the bow reaches full draw which helps reduce finger pinch. There is also a notable mellowing-out of the F/D curve as the bow gets toward the upper end of the draw cycle which reduces the incremental pounds per inch of additional draw.

Ultimately it boils down to performance - how efficiently the bow limbs store energy and how much of that stored energy gets transmitted to the arrow. We believe the design of our limb utilizing the ACS is a very good blend of energy storage and dynamic efficiency. Trying to maximize energy storage and the dynamic efficiency of the limb and the subjective feel of the limb yields an “area of common overlap”. There are other ways to skin the cat but we feel that our new RCT-X limb offers excellent performance and a very nice “feel”.

Reactions: crunch and giegs

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Bill .. what happened to the first incarnation of this bow from Steve?, Do you still have it?

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
PHIL, I saw a ticket scribbled across something like "return to stock bows" from the first thread 6 months or so ago. Guessing it got sold.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Phil...As beautiful as it was and as painful as it panned out?...that first incarnation was destined to belong to me but at the same time a bit of an experiment regarding limb tapers along with "tapered cores" and while it preformed great when drawn to 31"s?...it's performance at my DL of 27 3/4" was pretty much ho hum average which is when we pushed things a bit to far cutting it down to 58"s and lost instead of gained but while still s decent shooter?....nothing Steve wanted me basking in the internet limelight with so?...to market it went like Steve Long (aka "Dick Tracy") inferred! LOL!

Teasing/Joking Steve, ;)

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
there's a lot of stuff out there on that there inter-web thingie. Dick Tracy had a lot more jawline than I do. I might be more of a Inspector Clouseau type, or Columbo.
I look forward to this new episode you & Steve Jewett are assembling.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there's a lot of stuff out there on that there inter-web thingie. Dick Tracy had a lot more jawline than I do. I might be more of a Inspector Clouseau type, or Columbo.
I look forward to this new episode you & Steve Jewett are assembling.
Oh…the hot ticket out of the Bushmen camp isn’t the Scythian or even the Longcurve SR..it’s this little gem I played a role in naming called the bushman “XIPHOS”…and it smokes an arrow…think of it as a cross between a static tip and SR. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts